Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well, Mikey has pretty much told the story of our trip to the Northwest and we?ve related the Pilgrimage to Van?s. LOE has been pretty well covered by others (a most enjoyable time!), so about all I can contribute is a few pictures that I slid of my camera this afternoon. The return from Oregon took two days, with an off day in the middle to enjoy the fun at Santa Teresa, and the two days could hardly have been more different.

After fighting the weather for two days getting from Nevada to the Oregon coast, the days sent there in the northwest were almost anticlimactic. The skies were clear for two days of flying and visiting, and then we had a nice day to relax because the fog never really left the area. (A rugged sea coast in the fog has a very cozy and homey feel for me ? reminds me of my youth spent running dive trips on Lake Superior.) My only concern was that the forecast was for more fog on Friday morning, and if it did what it did on Thursday, hanging around until mid-afternoon, then LOE was going to be very short for us! Because we?d lost a day on the journey up, we were ready to have this happen (as disappointing as it would have been), but it would have made the trip home much more rushed. Still ? looking at the forecasts before bed on Thursday night, I told our relatives that we probably would have a relaxed morning when we woke, as it would be unlikely we?d get out before 1100 or so.

IMG_7373.JPG

Imagine my surprise when I woke with the sunrise, staring through the large windows at blue skies over the trees! While we didn?t want to rush anyone, we sure didn?t want to miss a launch window off the coast, especially since the rest of the way to Texas was clear as a bell. The in-laws were understanding, and we were soon on our way to the airport for an 0930 departure. Fog in the valleys made for beautiful views crossing the valleys of the Coastal Ranges.

IMG_7383.JPG

Our first real tailwind in quite awhile freshened as we climbed, and before we knew it, we were settled in at 11.5K, headed for the desolate town of Wells, Nevada ? a few miles north of a direct line, but the fuel was reputed to be cheap. (At any case, we?d seen enough of Winnemucca, and decided not to tempt fate with another stop in that fair city. Two nights of ?Stucka in Winnemucca? were enough for one trip?)

Wells did not disappoint when it came to desolate. A small town on the freeway, two runways laid out on the arid plane, and the smallest FBO I?d ever seen ? it must have been a Photomat Booth in an earlier incarnation, but it had a restroom, phone, flight planning desk ? everything you?d need in about 60 square feet. Nothing flashy, but who needs flash ? we weren?t planning on sticking around!

IMG_7385.JPG

It was my leg to fly as we lifted off of Wells, headed for St. John, Arizona. It sure was nice to fly a day of ?only? 1100 miles, instead of the 1650 from Houston to Oregon the weekend before. Going to El Paso seemed like a short jaunt in comparison. My leg was a vault across the great ?Basin and Range? (or ?Horst und Gravens?, as Louise pointed out was the name given by the German geologists that named the phenomenon) of the western US. A slight detour to the west to avoid a restricted area that went from 200 AGL to 55,000? msl (yeah, that looked good to avoid!) didn?t add much to the overall distance, and set us up or a great pass over Page, the upstream end of the Grand Canyon region.

IMG_7410.JPG

The topography was nothing short of amazing, and the camera does not do the pastel colors justice. While still over Nevada, I had fun watching the autopilot deal with the mountain wave coming of the ranges ? we?d be cruising along normally, then fly in to sink. The speed would slowly decay as the Tru Trak held its assigned altitude, once slowing to 85 knots. Then we?d fly out of the sink and into some lift, and the speed would go the other way, topping out at about 185 knots TAS before settling back down to the normal cruise speed of about 165. It was a way to pass the time?.

St. John?s ramp was being used by the local constabulary for some sort of training exercise when we arrives, with flashing lights and lots of harsh voices on the bullhorns that sounded deadly serious. Once I determined that we were not the targets of the commands, fueling was quick, and it was my turn to snooze as Louise took us on down to the El Paso area. I had never flown this route before, and was surprised at just how forbidding the Gila Wilderness was. It was not as arid as the basin and range nor was it as mountainous. But at least up there, you had dry lake beds or dirt roads to land on if you had to. This mountainous, tree-covered area offered pretty much no place to go if you had a problem. It was actually quite comforting to see the valley of the Rio Grande come in to view ? and not just because the day?s flying was almost over!

Louise set us down at Dona Anna just as the Friday beer call was wrapping up ? fortunately, Rosie had safeguarded one, and exchanged it for the Diet Coke in my hand without me immediately noticing. The rest of LOE went by in a very nice, lazy way. Yes, it was smaller than previous years, but that just meant we got to spend a little more time with our friends. Even the banquet had a little more intimate feel to it on Saturday night. When that was done, we headed to the hotel to take another look at the weather across Texas, because it looked like our blue-sky VFR flying was over.

Textbook IFR

Sure enough, the forecast was for MVFR across west Texas to the Hill Country, then IFR and poor MVFR from there to the coast. No talk of real rain or convective activity, and the icing Airmets we had gotten used to in the northwest were nowhere to be found! In fact, while it looked to be a miserable day for anyone trying to go east of the Pecos VFR, it looked to be a perfect opportunity for Louise to fly some actual IFR. Houston was forecast to be about 1,000 broken in light rain (the rain never showed up), and 3,000 overcast. Not bad with ILS’s available. Unfortunately, a non-stop from El Paso would put us pretty low on fuel (right at minimum reserves) upon arrival, and I like to stack the deck a bit more in my favor, so we elected to head to Alpine (an hour east, and clear as a bell) to top off, then file IFR from there. As soon as we got across the fossil reef that extends south from Guadalupe peak, we saw the low overcast to the north and east, held up by the Davis Mountains to the south.

IMG_7426.JPG

We considered going to Fort Stockton for gas when the AWOS said it was clear, but it was a sucker hole, and subsequent reports were back to overcast, so we stuck with the Alpine plan. (We thought about scud running I-10 for a moment, but the headlines would have read poorly if that had gone wrong….). Alpine was clear, we fueled and filed…and FSS promptly lost the Flight Plan, so that when we called ABQ Center on climb, they hadn’t heard of us. A few exchanges and they were clearly too busy to deal with us, so we went off to find Flight Service on another frequency – but they weren’t playing either (it’s a long way from transmitter sites out there…). By this time, Fort Stockton was right on the edge of the clouds, and they were at 1600’, so we ducked in to refile and once again top off while we were at it. This time, we got the clearance on the phone before leaving the ground (and the FSS guy admitted to having held our original plan by mistake – I guess they actually LOOK at the plans that come in from the AOPA planner we had used for a change) and Louise got to climb through the thin layer on our way to 11,000’.

The rest of the way was smooth, with little chatter on the radio and a little bit of bumping along in the tops over the Hill Country. The tops lowered on the other side, and the only excitement before getting to Houston was when Center lost our transponder after we got back with them after Austin. We did the recycle and power cycle thing, but nothing worked. Self test was OK, but we got no reply light. Ah well, ATC wasn’t busy, and they just asked Louise to “call upon reaching” each assigned altitude. They began stepping us down before Eagle lake, and as we walked down towards the coast, the tops seemed to drop pretty much with us, although we were mostly in the stuff. No one else seemed to be flying, and we had Approach pretty much to ourselves, so we asked for vectors to the ILS at Brazoria Country – an airport about 20 miles from home base where we frequently fuel, and usually shoot our practice approaches for currency.

The ILS was textbook, Louise hand flew it with skill, and we broke out right about 600’, lined up and ready to circle for a landing into the wind. I really enjoyed riding right seat for the entire trip, as it gave us a chance to work a two-person cockpit and keep the “Pilot Flying’s” workload low. I mostly fly single pilot IFR, but the Val is set up with some pretty high-level integrated systems to make that task easier. Mikey is a bit simpler, and two makes the work smoother.

Ceilings were higher to the northeast where we wanted to go, and after getting some fuel and watching the sky lighten, we were able to pop over to our airpark VFR without difficulty. It was clearly MVFR, but we are very familiar with the territory, and the trip was short – with two sets of eyes and constant chatter about location and towers (all well away from our actual course), it was a nice way to end a long trip. How long? About 3500 nautical miles in 8 days, across the Rockies, back and forth across the Great Basin, all the way to the Pacific. (I had the 696 in the right seat, and man, it must have some huge kind of memory for breadcrumbs – it still shows our entire route, from start to finish – and the memory isn’t full….).

Once again, the travelling capability of the RV amazes. We couldn’t have done this trip in the time we had by car – and airlines just didn’t go where we wanted – we’d have been renting cars several times. With a well maintained airplane (the transponder turned out to be an antenna cable problem – easily fixed at home) and current pilots, it’s a great adventure with minimal risk. Sure, there’s always the risk of getting stuck due to weaetrh beyond the equipment’s capabilities….but that’s why we have the RV White Pages and the RV Hotel list – you meet the nicest folks flying RV’s – even in Winnemucca….;)

A few more pictures at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ironflight/2009_10_11OregonAndLOETrip#

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Paul

Paul,
Thanks for beautifully describing your trip in words. The rest of us were able to go along with the mental images that you paint so well. I missed L.O.E. this year, and it was nice to ride along with you and Louise.

My gut told me that the weather would make going to L.O.E. difficult, and that Builder Doll and I would get grounded out there somewhere. The Doll only has one attitude indicator, and until I update the panel, IFR is for emergencies only.

Last edited:
My gut told me that the weather would make going to L.O.E. difficult, and that Builder Doll and I would get grounded out there somewhere. The Doll only has one attitude indicator, and until I update the panel, IFR is for emergencies only.

We missed you and all the regulars from the east of the Hill Country Danny - but if we had been trying to get to LOE from Houston, I expect we'd have missed it as well. It woudl have ben hard to justify launching into that stuff!

paul