Kahuna

Moderatoring
Recent threads on the discussion of noise prompted Whelen to do a simple head to head test. Here is a short video on Whelen vs AeroLED vs Aveo. Procured by a third party.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QxOEgu5X9c
Don the flame suits! Its time to go head to head. Stay tuned for an upcoming video on light output comparison.
Enjoy

Last edited:
It says "procured buy a third party". Sure looks like Whelen did their own actual testing?

All I will say is that AeroLEDs LLC is not in the business of disparaging our competition. Our goal is to produce the best product that we can, and then stand behind it.

We have had issues with RF noise in the past, but have taken steps to address it and have fixed the issue. With the quantity of product that we have in the field, there are older lights out there that may, depending on the installation environment, produce noise. The variability of the installation environment plays a substantial role in the degree to which the older generation lights may produce zero, some, or significant noise. Our latest design revision has addressed this issue to essentially eliminate the potential for interference at the source.

As with politics, many companies often tend toward the "attack ad" mentality, which is something we do not participate in as a business. We concern ourselves primarily with our customers, not our competition, as the only thing we have control over is what we do ourselves to meet our customer's needs.

No need for a flame suit, I have no intention of engaging in any sort of debate on this forum.

Best Regards,

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

Last edited:
Well, I took the time to view the video - waste of time. Pretty unscientific using an outdated (perhaps junk) receiver.

The whole premise of the thread is very disappointing - I think it makes you want to steer clear of product W.

FWIW - staying with the old lights for now.

Dan

We concern ourselves primarily with our customers, not our competition, as the only thing we have control over is what we do ourselves to meet our customer's needs.

Awesome response, Dean. I love the AeroSuns in my 7A and know what company I'll be going with when it comes time to put lights in my -10.

The video has clearly been edited in some form, which makes the entire test setup somewhat suspect. Watch the lights flash in the inset box. The inset box is a single flash being re-played over and over, and not a concurrent video feed with the same time basis as the radio. Watch the light itself move within the frame each time it flashes.

I'm sorry, Kahuna, but I don't think the third party video tells us much.

Also not a fan of attack ads.

Last edited:
I have been flying with the AeroLED Nav/Strobes for 4 months and they are whisper quiet.
The HID landing lights from another manufacturer are another story. They make some noise on my Nav. frequency.

AEROLEDS test

Saw the video and got all freaked out thinking I probable had the "Old" Aeroled nav/strobes that maybe make a lot of noise. :eek: Bought them about two years ago. Went right to my shop and set up the same experiment. No shielding & did anything I could to increase the chances of noise.
If you closed your eyes while tuning the radio you couldn't even tell if the Aeroleds were on. Scary quiet. I love these things. :)
Company W may not like competition :(

All I will say is that AeroLEDs LLC is not in the business of disparaging our competition. Our goal is to produce the best product that we can, and then stand behind it.

We have had issues with RF noise in the past, but have taken steps to address it and have fixed the issue. With the quantity of product that we have in the field, there are older lights out there that may, depending on the installation environment, produce noise. The variability of the installation environment plays a substantial role in the degree to which the older generation lights may produce zero, some, or significant noise. Our latest design revision has addressed this issue to essentially eliminate the potential for interference at the source.

As with politics, many companies often tend toward the "attack ad" mentality, which is something we do not participate in as a business. We concern ourselves primarily with our customers, not our competition, as the only thing we have control over is what we do ourselves to meet our customer's needs.

No need for a flame suit, I have no intention of engaging in any sort of debate on this forum.

Best Regards,

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

Classy response to a less than classy opening thread. Even admitted earlier struggles and action to remedy the situation.

Good job Sir.
Mark

My sincere apologies to those that were offended. It certainly was not meant to be offensive. I thought it was a fun video of a company doing a direct comparison of its products against others on a particular attribute. Have we gotten so PC that a simple out of the box test becomes an attack ad? Frankly I wish we had more of these.
Seems fair game to call foul if you think there was some video switcharoo, or if you think something is out of context, not done with some particular equipment, or done unfairly. No ones character was challenged. No individual was attacked. It?s an out of box simple product attribute test that might explain what some end users experience. All users? Course not. All products? Course not. I hope you take it the test in the competitive informational spirit in which it was produced.

Well, I have the Aveo pos/strobe lights, and haven't heard *any* interference in 170 hours or so.

Guess I'll stick with them :)

Competition is a very good thing for us consumers, lets push on with new and more improved products and of course cheaper prices.

I am still having a hard time justifying the prices that I see on landing lights, virtually all brands.

+1

Competition is a very good thing for us consumers, lets push on with new and more improved products and of course cheaper prices.

I am still having a hard time justifying the prices that I see on landing lights, virtually all brands.

I went with Aveo strobes, positions and landing lights. I'm still choking on the price... However, they seem like high quality products to me, and I can't wait to look like a 747 on short final with 2 AveoMaxx Hercules 30s on my 10! :eek:

I went with Aveo strobes, positions and landing lights. I'm still choking on the price... However, they seem like high quality products to me, and I can't wait to look like a 747 on short final with 2 AveoMaxx Hercules 30s on my 10! :eek:

I spent just shy of $100 on two LED that each put out 11000LM and lookwise, they are pleasing to the eye. I get zero, zilch, nada noise in the headsets or my nav equipment.

Likewise, my Red and Green position lights cost just about $12 with zero noise again.