Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
Need some ideas. I have one screw location on my left landing gear tower where I cannot get enough clearance for even a low profile nut or even a Cherry rivet. The missing screw is circled in green and the red is where I'm thinking of adding the screw.

See below photos. I am thinking about adding a screw in the marked location unless there's a magic answer. I guess I mounted the landing gear weldment a hair aft of where it should be.

Any ideas? Does this even matter?

IMG_9555_zpsce336570.jpg

IMG_9557_zps4b5e81ef.jpg

Missing screw

That isn't supposed to be a screw. The forward and rear hole in that row are supposed to be rivets. We are currently bucking these rivets in the towers of our -8. I will be making a bucking bar tonight for that particular rivet.

I wondered why they used rivets in these two locations when all the fasteners are screws. I didn't think about the clearance for the landing gear nuts. I expect this is why they use rivets.

Hmmm

Second picture is hard to see, but I will take a shot. If the issue is getting the nut started past the other fastener? Have someone hold the nut over the empty hole, then run the srcew into it, not the nut down. If the issue is the hole to close to the the angle web, try a one leg nutplate, and grind a radius in it if you need to. The nutplae does not have to be riveted in.

Yes, you are correct now that I think about it, duh. Even so, it's so tight, I can't get a rivet in there long enough to create an acceptable shop head.

That isn't supposed to be a screw. The forward and rear hole in that row are supposed to be rivets. We are currently bucking these rivets in the towers of our -8. I will be making a bucking bar tonight for that particular rivet.

I wondered why they used rivets in these two locations when all the fasteners are screws. I didn't think about the clearance for the landing gear nuts. I expect this is why they use rivets.

Sorry about the double reply. The website was hung up and I refreshed trying to wake it up and it apparently re-submitted the reply. (fixed that for you)

I think what I'll do is remove the landing gear nut and try to install the rivet again. It's been literally over ten years since I mounted the gear (another story)

Last edited by a moderator:
Same Problem

I had the same problem with a single rivet in that location on My RV8. I took a look at the overall assembly and decided to leave the location empty.

Screw in the way

I would like to add a question to this same thread. I read somewhere that the gear bolts have to be torqued every so many hours. The screw just above the rivet hole you circled in the first picture gets in the way of the socket tool. Does everybody remove that screw before they torque that rear gear bolt, and then replace it? Thanks

Lyle do a search on this site for "rv8 gear leg bolts" you will find a lot info regarding this topic

Bird