logansc

Well Known Member
I'm looking to make some changes in my panel, but keep some of the things I like a lot. I'm happy with my JPI engine monitor and my "stack" which includes a PMA audio panel, SL30, GTX327, and a GNC300, except I would like to add WAAS. Looking to sell the GNC 300 and buy a GNC 480. I have a dual axis TruTrak ADI II and a virtually new Castleberry backup attitude gyro which I will also sell. I also have a "lifetime" AnywhereMap subscription which I'd like to use and a WxWorx receiver and subscription.

I would like a single EFIS that supports WxWorx but which can be bought without the engine monitor functions. I suppose my AnywhereMap won't run on another mfg's EFIS (I hate to have to pay for approach plates all over again)? Am I right that a GNS 480 will drive an ADI II just fine?

I really want the EFIS primarily for its moving map/terrain/obstacle/Wx displays and not flight instruments/engine monitor functions, but I'm sure I'll use at least the flight instruments nonetheless. I plan to keep as much of my basic six pack as I can so I can operate with the biggest moving map I can get, most of the time. I just like big maps.

I just want one EFIS as there isn't much instrument panel real estate in a tandem. I will have to move the stack to down below just forward of the stick as it is. Any suggestions on an EFIS that is really BRIGHT that will do the things I want without me having to buy a bunch of capabilities that I already have covered with equipment that I like?

Regards,

Lee...

None of them require you to buy engine monitoring option.. All of them like to showcase all the capabilities, and that's why you see engine strip at bottom/side etc.. None of that is a requirement (I'm talking AFS/GRT/Dynon).

480 will drive the ADI II.. but define "drive" -- it'll be basic lateral... not the fully coupled, txo-axis thing you get with the TT VSGV model.

At this time, GRT and AFS support WxWorx XM WX, while Dynon does not yethave that capability on the Skyview.. so those are the options right now..

I really want the EFIS primarily for its moving map/terrain/obstacle/Wx displays and not flight instruments/engine monitor functions, but I'm sure I'll use at least the flight instruments nonetheless. I plan to keep as much of my basic six pack as I can so I can operate with the biggest moving map I can get, most of the time. I just like big maps.

It almost sounds to me like you aren't really looking for an EFIS Lee - you are looking for a really full-featured moving map. In that case, I have yet to find one that does as much as a Garmin 696 (or it's panel-mount equivalent). If you really want to keep your six-pack and stack, you can add one of these and have a tremendously useful and full-featured box with an EFB built in.

Just a thought,

Paul

Thanks for checking in, guys. I think you are both correct...what I want doesn't really exist exactly. There is one thing I would really like that the 696 doesn't provide---a "moving map approach" capability. The 696 has NACO plates which means no georef for a moving map option.

Levil Aviation (saw them for the first time at Sun n Fun) has a very nice new PC/Windows based all-in-one touchscreen system which can be bought without AHRS. It's not exactly inexpensive but it has a very bright screen and a nice integrated configuration. I know some don't like Windows but AnywhereMap is stable in a Windows environment in my experience.

Still looking but both the Levil-1831 (http://www.aviation.levil.com/) and the G696 look reasonably good.

Thanks for the inputs...

Lee...

The AV8OR Ace approach plates and Hi/LO IFR enroute charts are geo referenced. Dont know if you have looked at it?

Actually, the AV8OR Ace looks pretty good. Have a friend who had one to review but he had to give it back ---darn!

I really like AnywhereMap software, so I'm still hoping to find and 8" or so all-in-one high brightness computer/touchscreen combo. The Levil looks good but it is (probably) too big for my panel.

Still looking!

Lee...