Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Yes, after they were on the aircraft

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • No, I'm a proseal Jedi knight

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters

joeboisselle

Well Known Member
Another thread I started about fuel tank repair/building in respect to the lack of leaking brought up the question of how many people have actually had leaks. And I'm talking any leak, during testing or flying. I did find the pole taken 2 years ago, but there's been quite a few more added to the fleet, and to the forums. Seems like the majority of leaks are the rear baffle, mine have been the outer ribs. What have you all seen?
You can select both yes answers if they apply.

Last edited:
Float sending unit.

....We used the rubber gasket at first and then eliminated it for the repair. That was two years ago....no more leaks.

Regards,

During testing I found a large leak at the back corner baffle/rib joint, right where the manual said I would have problems. Using a long stick, I was able to apply more sealant through the filler hole to seal it up.

I also had leaks from the screws at the inspection panel/sender -- I didn't proseal them before testing, in case I had to open up the tank. So much for that plan.

Second tank went better, making sure to put a lot of sealant in those baffle corners.

No leaks after 100 hours flying.

I voted twice...

I had a small leak (soap bubble test) at the skin/back plate. I fixed it with loctite. Two years latter I have a couple of rivets that are starting to show blue. This will be my winter project.

Kent

....We used the rubber gasket at first and then eliminated it for the repair. That was two years ago....no more leaks.

Regards,

Pierre,

So I should just ditch the rubber gasket that came with my float-type sensors and use only proseal? I had planned on ditching the cork gaskets, but wasn't sure about ditching the rubber gaskets for the sensors.

Two leaks in my 7A quick build tanks. The right one had a leak large enough to form a small stream from the bottom of the inboard tank rib the first time I put fuel in the tanks. The left one developed a seep in a bottom rivet of the third rib (from the root) after 2 years of flying. They claim the tanks are tested after assembly but somebody slept when these were assembled. No leaks ever on my RV6 tanks I built back in 1989 after 2200 hrs of flying.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Pierre,

So I should just ditch the rubber gasket that came with my float-type sensors and use only proseal? I had planned on ditching the cork gaskets, but wasn't sure about ditching the rubber gaskets for the sensors.

not pierre but,
yes. the screws are almost too short for installation of the rubber seals anyway.

I did not use the rubber gaskets either and just finished testing both my tanks today with no leaks!!!:D I really took my time and applied all techniques advised on this forum. Not necessarily a pleasant experience...but definitely a learning one.