EwingM

I'm New Here
At Airventure a few years ago, there was a big tube with aircraft blueprints in it, so I bought it. The contents were, what appears to be, a complete set of blueprints for an RV-4. I don't remember how many prints there were, but it seems like more than 40. Some of them are 6' long.

My confusion is that they don't sell the plans like that now. None of the plans have a serial number on them, but they are dated to the early 80's. The one framed and hanging on my wall (a cut away drawing) is dated 1983.

Were these how they were sold at first? Why wouldn't there be a serial number on them?

When I bought my RV6 blueprints 20 years ago. Only the first and second drawing had a serial number on it. The rest had no serial number. I also got a letter with a serial number that I signed and sent back to Vans to register me as the builder. Doing this way will prevent building multiple aircrafts from a single set of drawings. If you order the parts from Vans need the serial number to buy part. Only explanation I can think of ....

RV 4 plans

I bought an older rv4 that purchaser never did anything too,I ordered a new set of plans and updated instruction book a couple of years ago for around a $100 if my memory serves me right,I did need to supply serial # for this as well as when I have needed parts from Vans.The old plans were yellowed and water stained and I keept as a cross reference to see changes on later versions which contained all updates.there are some smaller parts you have to make as per older plans that you now can purchase reasonably from vans.

RV-4 Plans

I have serial# 2667, and they are from the mid 80's...44 sheets(all have the SN# on them), with one thats about 6' long, that is a side view. There is also a set of small fold-outs, that go with the builders manual. I built everything per these plans, with no complaints at all. If you utilize them, there have been many revisions along the way that were published in the paper RVator we used to get.I hand wrote all the revision changes on mine . I would assume the newer plan sets are pretty well refined. During the registration process, an actuall bill of sale from VANs will be issued based on your registered serial number.