jasman45

Reading another thread that touches on this subject, I wanted to know if anyone has had a canopy failure using sika flex?

With the total lack of response, I guess that no one has had their canopy fail that was attached with Sika Flex. A lot of hand wringing over a non-issue.

I almost responded...but didn't! Not sure why. There are a lot on here with Sikaflex'd canopies that are doing great. Mine's coming up on 3 years and 135 hours. I'm hangared at Nampa if you ever want to come look at it.

Mine Looks Fine - YMMV

Sample size of 1

-9A Slider

5+ years, 870 hrs.

Temp spreads from 105*F to -10*F in Minne. (not that much fun to fly at either extreme....:eek:)

Bond line will get a good review at annual. I can assure you superior craftsmanship has never been in play on my plane(knowing nods from the guys I fly with.......)

No problems here either

I've got over 3.5 years and 250 hours on my 7A tip-up and the Sika looks the same as when it was new. I live in MI so it's seen it's share of temp variation.

No surprise

When I first read the post, I was going to be very surprised if anybody responded with a failure. I did as much research as I could find to dig up a Sika failure. It is mainly used for boat windows too -- I found none.

After having used it now, it is absolutely bullet proof and excellent stuff. There have been some previous posts here where guys have tried to have it seperate from the canopy (with hammers, pliers, smashing, etc), and all the results have been outstanding.

Might be a good idea if we can convince Dan (you know which one I mean) to pull out his test equipment (torches, flame throwers, jack hammers, etc)and go to town and let us know the results. Easy for me to suggest without doing any of the work. C-mon Dan, please? Dave

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. We are at the point of attaching the canopy and we are planning to use Sika. I read a post that suggested that failures were imminent and I got worried. Thanks for the reassurance.