In my other RV

(38' diesel), they put balancing sand in the tires at the last tire change. I would NOT recommend it or similar products for our flying RVs.

Two issues - first, the sand all ends up at the bottom of the tire while the vehicle sits (or probably when flying). Typically, I feel more vibration than without the sand for the first few miles. Later it gets better, but not sure it's really helping. Our flying RVs would likely see this initial imbalance on landing, arguably the worst time to be out of balance.

Second - the sand gets in your tire gauge and screws up the back flow valve (and maybe the tire stem valve too). They are supposed to install a sintered metal filter below the tire valve, but I'm not sure whether my installer left them out, or whether they are just ineffective...

I looked at the "how it works" page and was wondering how the beads stay in place when there is no centripedal force, i.e. when the tire is not rotation. frazital answered that one - they don't!

Doesn't sound like a good idea. At first they are going to make things mroe off-balance until the distribute.

The beads won't bother an air gauge (they don't really get suspended in the air), but they also rely on centrifugal force to hold them in place. They work pretty well on cars, RV's and motorcycles. I'm not sure how they would be on an airplane. The tire wouldn't be balanced when it first contacted the runway, but I am unsure whether it would balance out so quickly as to work well or if it would take too long.

Nice responses from those who have never tried them in a RV.

Here is a response from someone who has tried them:

Gear leg shimmy while slowing....... gone

1/2 oz each tire

30 psi

in a -4

I've got a Goldwing and there are lots of guys on that forum that swear by them. Overall a lot of positive reviews and the only bad thing generally said is that they did not notice any improvement. (no harm-no foul). I agree with bikepilot though inasmuch as we don't have a general speeding up and slowing down (as in terrestrial vehicles) which allows the beads to centrifugally spread out. It's zero to 60 in .2 seconds and they'd all be sitting in one spot. Sounds like it might contribute to shimmy initiation.

It's zero to 60 in .2 seconds and they'd all be sitting in one spot. Sounds like it might contribute to shimmy initiation.

I flew with Mike Seager in the -7 trainer.... He said the leg shimmy on decel was normal, nothing you could do but try to transit the speed and get out of it. Had it in the -4 but not bad. Added dyna beads and all shimmy went away. No adverse effects.

I flew with Mike Seager in the -7 trainer.... He said the leg shimmy on decel was normal, nothing you could do but try to transit the speed and get out of it. Had it in the -4 but not bad. Added dyna beads and all shimmy went away. No adverse effects.

Cool...actual experience trumps educated guesses.

49clipper

So, if it is simply a balance issue, why not just balance the tire and rim combination and solve the problem?

I am running 375/65/16 Mickey Thomson my dodge, 10 oz. of anti freeze in each tire, no wheel weights, no vibration.