AX-O

Well Known Member
I was originally going to install two push latches on my oil door. My flying RV has a hidden latch using piano hinges and a long pin that can be reached via the cowling inlet. Unfortunately I can?t come up with any design ideas that would allow me to use that method with my configuration. The engine plenum and the inlet ring get connected via a wetsuit hose. Has anyone done this? Any pics would be appreciated.

yes, I'll get some pics up soon.

Ithought I had pictures saved on my photobucket acct, but no. So here is a link to my build log. 4/21/2010 oil door

I'll snap a couple pics later today if you want. I actuate the door from inside the cockpit. tip up must be open, but I can reach it easily from forward of the wing. I had planned on bonding the door completely....BUT, when using internal hinge method to secure the firewall/cowl joint, you must be able to get the oil door open. If I ever had the oil door fail to open, I would be screwed. So I used 2 screws to attach the oil door to the hinge.

Last edited:
Axel, emailed you a bunch of pics from my camera. hope they help, let me know if you need better ones.

Yes!

I have a tip up canopy.

I have a 1.8th inch solid brake tube prosealed behing the canopy hinge. the tube crosses the bulkhead and firewall..a welding rod slides into the tube and it gets lined up with the hinge I use as a latch on the oil door.

The door hinge and "latch hinge" are completely hidden.

This method does nt depend on not having a plenum of course.

Frank