avee8tor13

Well Known Member
I noticed my manifold gauge was not moving from the 15 inches after the engine started. The fuel gauges seem to intermittenly not work when I turn on the master. After I cycle the master the fuel gauge would start working. Has anyone else out there have any problems with their manifold and fuel gauges made by Vans?

Thanks all

sounds like a wiring problem. Bad connections will cause these gauges to do weird things.

I was losing all my engine instruments intermittently. When I recycled the master they would come back to life. It turned out to be a bad crimp (loose wire) on a fast-on connector. Simple fix, hard to locate.

Feedback Van's Manifold Fuel Gauges

Fuel gauges have worked great, no problem at all with the resist/float gauges.

Manifold pressure is another matter entirely. Three fifty buck plus transducers later, three different plumbing setup changes to "keep the fluids from entering the transducer" and the gauge is just as sluggish and unreliable as the first setup. I can show 33 inches at times, without a turbo. The five second delay in showing a change setting is more like ten or no change.

It is the only piece of equipment on my 6 that fails to work properly despite inordinate attention and replacement and modification. I absolutely cannot go from F/P to Constant Speed prop until this is resolved (and I buy another engine!).

Van's support solution is the only thing they can say..."Change the Transducer".

I will be changing the system to a hard-line standard gauge as soon as I find one that does not look hokey and will be ditching the setup I have.

Perhaps someone out there with experience in these matters can chime in, a search here on VAF just has complaints like mine but no discussion of what might be causing these failures or pic of what a functioning plumbing setup looks like.

Good luck!

Montanamike
RV6 N918MB O-320 A 150HP 145 hours Phase II

sever replaced

Purchased my 7A at 500 hrs and the volt guage was inop. Shortly after that one I had to replace both fuel guages, and the fuel pressure guage. At about 600 hrs the tach went out so I replace both the guage and the transducer (transducer was the problem) and 10 hrs later the mp guage and transducer. All systems checked independantly as well as power distrubution and ground integrity across the entire airplane. On the flip side, though, you have to ask yourself what you expect out of a $40 or $50 instrument. Even though I am a little old school I am contemplating a panel upgrade.

I'm on my fourth MAP transducer and third ammeter. Every other Van's gauge has been fine for four years
The MAP fails the same each time, it suddenly starts reading high. The first time it happened I actually
diverted to nearest airport because I was flying slow and the engine didn't seem to be making it's normal
23" 2400 rpm power. I uncowled and checked everything over and decided to continue home. Making first power
reduction after takeoff I was suprised to see I was climbing out at 31.5", should have been less than 29".

Van's gauges are OK for the price but I'm going to be looking closely at both GRT and AFS systems during
Oshkosh next week.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Last edited: