This one:

Compact hub Constant-speed prop for (I)O-360 (180/200hp) 72"
Part Number = PROP C2YR-1BFP/F74972
Price = $6649.00

They just forgot to put the dash before the last "2"

Correct, the prop Radomir posted is almost a drop-in replacement. The only difference is that the newer 7497 blade has a little thicker airfoil than the 7496 and (depending on who you ask) may not have the same RPM restrictions as the older model.

And of course it goes without saying that I'm highly curious to know the story of the lost prop! :confused:

mcb

This one:

Compact hub Constant-speed prop for (I)O-360 (180/200hp) 72"
Part Number = PROP C2YR-1BFP/F74972
Price = $6649.00
They just forgot to put the dash before the last "2"

Radomir thanks. Do we need new spinner because of thicker foil?

Last edited:
Radomir thanks. Do we need new spinner because of thicker foil?

Your current spinner will work fine but you will need to order a new front bulkhead, part number S-603, about $24. The front bulkhead holes will not line up with your current spinner, so with the new bulkhead you can drill new holes, install nutplates, and should be in business. I have the same prop on order to replace an older Hartzell, so I did a little research.

Your current spinner will work fine but you will need to order a new front bulkhead, part number S-603, about $24. The front bulkhead holes will not line up with your current spinner, so with the new bulkhead you can drill new holes, install nutplates, and should be in business. I have the same prop on order to replace an older Hartzell, so I did a little research.

Copy that Pat thanks. Do you know if Van would sell the prop to an owner without builder's number?

Spinner - you are best to try the prop and see what works

I went from a F7666 bladed prop to a F7496 and didn't replace anything. The hub is where the aft bulkhead is mounted and it may not position your aft bulkhead in the same fore & aft position as the old prop. There are multiple washers used in these mount locations to accommodate the variation. In my case I had to move the bulkhead forward on washer position to pick up the original mounting holes in the aft end of the spinner. The forward bulkhead is no so easy. The angular position of the four mounting holes are randomly located depending on where the dome ends up as the prop is assembled. The best solution I believe is to buy a new forward bulkhead install it and mark it for the existing spinner holes, etc. I took the cheaper way out and slotted the holes in the existing bulkhead and made up s doubler disk to sandwich/clamp the old bulkhead where I wanted it and assembled it as usual. I may still change it to a new bulkhead someday but Saturday I ran it in the West Texas 100 mile air race wide open and I saw 2740 RPM for the first time ever (usually 2730 is the most I can get (my Microlon?) and there were no problems. The thickness of the airfoil has nothing to do with whether you need a new spinner or not.

The prop price is another item you need to check into. It is true that Van's sells the new Hartzell props in the $6,000 - $7,000 price range but it is a very special deal. That is the way I bought mine. The Prop buyer at Van's told me that they can sell new blended airfoil propellers at the special Van's price IF you have never had a blended airfoil propeller previously - it is called a one time upgrade. That is a very big deal because your friend already had a Hartzell blended airfoil propeller. When I was researching mine I called Hartzell and told them what I wanted to do and I was told by the sales person that the price for a new Hartzell blended airfoil propeller of the type I wanted for my RV-6A (72" F7496 bladed, blended airfoil prop) was $11,000. You almost have to go through Van's but you may have to do some creative buying through another builder that is not going to use the option to get the price. On the other hand the economy is so delicate that the seller may come up with a loophole that will let you use the Van's special price just to be doing business.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Copy that Pat thanks. Do you know if Van would sell the prop to an owner without builder's number?

Vlad,

As long as it's an upgrade or replacement for an RV, you should be OK. Call Barbara at Vans in the morning and ask. You will probably need the builder's number for whoever built the airplane originally. You said it was a 9A so I'm assuming that your friend is not the original builder.