rvator51

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to install a prop governor on my O-360-A1A RV-6a with a Hartzell CS prop. Any comments good or bad on which governor from Vans to get, the Hartzell or the MT?

I freaked out when the Hartzell showed up in my FWF kit without prior communication. All I heard was negative comments about the Hartzell. The good news is that was a different product. The governor than Van's sells is realitively new. It's a little smaller than the MT and I've not heard any negative comments. I'm also not flying yet, so I can't comment much further.

Hartzell is about 45 minutes away, so that is a plus for me. My governor arrived without instructions. Les from Hartzell offered to swing by the hangar after work to assist with the install. It wasn't necessary, but I certainly appreciate the offer. He also did a lot to alleviate my fears.

Since I really had no data to make a good decision, I errored in supporting the local US based company.

bob

Part #

Hi Bob, I assume you have an IO-540; do you have the part # for your gov and do you know if it is set up for 2700 rpm. Thanks Barry

Hi Bob, I assume you have an IO-540; do you have the part # for your gov and do you know if it is set up for 2700 rpm. Thanks Barry

I don't have the info here at the office. I'll try to remeber to grab it when I'm at the hangar this evening. All I have is a photo off my build site, which probably doesn't help much. I'm about two weeks from first engine start. I'm assuming that it is set for 2700.

bob

FP03072011A0006J.jpg

I have the Vans supplied Hartzel governor for the IO-540 and Hartzel 2 blade prop. Out of the box it ran at 2640 rpm. I have no complaints so far.

BTW, I'm happy with this setting and have not bothered to increase it.