GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm thinking a polished spinner might be a nice option for my new c/s propeller install but all I can find for sale at a reasonable price are the type that mount directly to the flywheel. Is it possible to use this type? Obviously some cowl fiberglassing would be in order. This is not a huge issue as I need to do some glass work on the inlets anyway. Is there some other reason to avoid this type mount? As always, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Someone was offering to crome plate fiberglass spinners

Someone was offering to crome plate fiberglass spinners a few months ago. I don't know how that worked out. That would be smooth, shiney and of course mount on the two spinner bulkheads.

Bob Axsom

Any feedback on the plated glass spinners? I have to admit the idea of bolt on and go with the metal spinner is a little appealing. No one is using this type (bolt to flywheel) spinner?

Well I am USELESS with the plated plastic one but I have been looking at your plea for help and thought I would chime in.

I bought a used Hartzell 2295-P like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-2295-P-Hartzell-spinner-asy-/170780451561

Mine was cheap, used a kindah scratched. This one is new and shiny! They sell for more than 2 large new!!!

I think I will have to build up the top of the cowl about a half an inch in order for it to look right but I am not sure. I will know more this summer when I fit the prop onto the project.

Awaiting Engine.jpg

I think it should look good!

:) CJ

Spinner clearance!!

Don't rush it. Measure the distance from the prop flange to the back of the spinner. I think it's about an inch further aft than the Van's spinner. It's been done before but I think it will take some major modification to the cowling to make it fit. I think I've seen pictures of this installation on VAF before but I can't remember the guys name.

I'm planning to hang the engine in the next week or two, so maybe I'll get a better idea of what will be involved. Thanks for the advise.

Don't rush it. Measure the distance from the prop flange to the back of the spinner. I think it's about an inch further aft than the Van's spinner. It's been done before but I think it will take some major modification to the cowling to make it fit. I think I've seen pictures of this installation on VAF before but I can't remember the guys name.

Ed, Tell me more about what you know. Do you have any pictures? I don't have my prop yet and don't know what you are talking about. Can you give me some more details?

:confused: CJ