Bevan

Well Known Member
The Hartzell CS props come with four spacers for the four bolts that the rear spinner baffle plate mounts to. These set the position of the rear baffle relative to the front baffle and make it fit the 13" spinner correctly. According to the spinners mounting instructions, the Hartzell props supplied by vans have a specific length spacer (called S-604). My prop did not come from Vans and the spacer appears to be too long. I could put them on a lathe and trim them down or just replace them with some AN washers instead.

My qustions is, does anybody with a Hartzell prop (bought through Vans) currently have the spinner off and could measure the length of those spacers?

Is there any reason not to use steel washers (probably 3) instead of aluminum spacers?

Thanks

Bevan

I had to add ONE additional AN washer to each of the spacers to get the proper clearance on my prop. That was over 15-years ago.

I remember making a Home-Made prop blade turning handle or wrench out of wood. I used 2 pieces of 1" X 2" lumber about 3.5 feet long that was screwed together with two short 2" long pieces between them about 6 or 7" apart for space so that I could slide it over the blade. I would then use this tool to rotate the blade to high pitch (Low RPM) position. While in the high pitch position, I would check to see if the blade(s) came in contact with the mounting plate. It was necessary to add the washer that I am talking about so that the prop in high pitch (Low RPM) would not hit the mounting plate.

All I am trying to say, you may want to check to see if your blades hit the mounting plate when it is in high pitch before you trim the spacers.

Thanks Gary,

I was planning to check that. For the moment, the spinner is about 3/16 short of covering the rear baffle and also too big in diameter because the back baffle needs to come forward. I can figure all this out and do it with washers instead of the spacer. I'm wondering if the Van's supplied spacer really is shorter than mine and by how much?

Bevan