Baja_Traveler

Well Known Member
Just watching "How It's Made" on the Discovery Channel - my favorite show - and they did a segment on making a three blade CS prop for a turbo prop twin. Pretty cool segments of machining the hub and propellers, then the assembly process. I always thought the propellers were a honeycomb laminate like helicopter blades - these were machined solid aluminum. They had a really neat cutaway of the system so you can see just how everything works - cool show if you can catch it...

Yeah, saw it last month. Also on a PA channel, there is a program called PCN Tours that visits Pennsylvania businesses. Last month they did a 30 minute show on Sensenich. They showed all the manufacturing steps for 2 blade fixed pitch props. Very cool. Waiting for them to do a show on Lycoming.

You can buy a tape of the Sensenich tour for $29.95 by calling (717) 730-6000.

Jekyll

Last edited:
Full Metal Jacket (or blade)

Baja_Traveler said:
I always thought the propellers were a honeycomb laminate like helicopter blades - these were machined solid aluminum.
That is why they are so resilient and easy to repair on the plane, since you can just blend out a ding or nick, its solid.

When does it come on again? Any one know

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up, lucky it comes on once more Fri, Jun 22 12:00 PM

Last edited:
briand said:
Someone should record the Hartzell portion and put it on youtube.
Not such a good idea due to copy right issues. :(

However, if someone copies it, please send me ...

Oh never mind, that has the same issue.

Police run

N941WR said:
Not such a good idea due to copy right issues. :( However, if someone copies it, please send me ... Oh never mind, that has the same issue.
I see lots of copy right stuff on there. Depends if they owner wants to argue it. It's hard for them to police it, but you are right its probably a no no.

There has been issues between Youtube, Disney, Viacom and NBC but I haven't heard of any one else complaining. Most production cos. and broadcasters somewhat embrace youtube. I'm not sure which way Newscorp leans but I think they B^*%$ed a little too.

Hartzell is really cool. Rich and I took a factory tour when we picked up our prop there. We also took a tour of Lycoming when we picked up our engine on the same trip. Van's can arrange this if you get the parts through them.

Roberta