I recently purchased a firewall forward kit from Van's and was planning on a Hartzell BA prop. I am now seriously considering a WhirlWind 200RV prop and wonder if it will work with a Hartzell governor. I would rather not try to exchange and/or sell the new Hartzell governor if it will work. I sent an email to WhirlWind and there answer was "as long as your current governor is set for pressure to decrease pitch". Does anyone know if the Hartzell governor from Van's is configured this way?

Frankly, I find the answer confusing. If pressure decreases pitch (less bite/higher rpm) that would mean lower or zero pressure would increase pitch (more bite/lower rpm), correct? If I am interpreting this right, it sounds like the WhirlWind 200RV is more like an aerobatic prop, that is, if oil pressure goes to zero then the blades take a bigger bite so rpm won't overspeed.

Am I making any sense?

Thanks,

Pete

Backwards

Pete,

The WhirlWind 200RV is not an aerobatic prop. If you lose oil pressure the blades will go to low pitch and the engine will overspeed unless you are quick on the throttle.

Hartzell Governor?

I didn't think the 200RV was an aerobatic prop but I am still confused by WhirlWind's response about the Hartzell governor, "as long as your current governor is set for pressure to decrease pitch". Still need to determine whether the Hartzell governor from Van's works with a WhirlWind propeller.

Thanks,

Pete

Call them back Pete....

With my recent order for the PCU5000X to drive my Whirlwind200RV, the governor increases pressure to increase pitch. Your Hartzel would do the same, especially if it was from Vans. Standard fare. Just call back and ask your question again. Someone said or heard it wrong.....:)