Carlos151

Well Known Member
Friend
Just found a small oil leak coming from the shaft on my Hartzell S-1-10 prop governor that I purchased new from Vans to put on my IO-360. Time in service is around 650 hours. I know there was a service bulletin to replace an o-ring on that shaft at the next overhaul opportunity. So I figured I'd get some quotes for an overhaul since I got everything apart for this years condition inspection. The real shocker came from Hartzell themselves. Just got quoted $1235 plus any parts and expendables. Double checked with them since Vans Aircraft lists a brand new governor for $2040. Hartzell's list price for the same governor is an eye popping $7979. So at those prices I'm inclined to buy a new in stock governor from Vans.

Anyone have a shop they can recommend for a Hartzell governor overhaul that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and has a decent turnaround time?

I used Sensenich Prop service in GA for my recent Hartzell re-seal and had a good experience...they also overhaul governors, I think base overhaul price is around $1k

Karl, have you tried Southcoast propeller? they overhauled mine and that was about what I paid.
Not yet, I'll give them a shout. Leaning towards a brand new governor straight from Vans for just a few hundred more dollars than overhauling my current one. Most every shop I have contacted is in the $1300 range "unless" they find something else that needs replacing inside.

I'm a little late posting but I just had a Woodward governor overhauled for $765 at Redline Aviation in Akron, CO. Turnaround was about a week.

You can reach Dan at 720-272-4356

Last edited:
If you're going to buy a new one, why not take a look at the Jihostroj governor, aka PCU5000X.
Still waiting on Vans to ship one out. Not sure if they'll "adjust" the price since Hartzell is charging four times as much for the same unit. If that's the case, then I'll overhaul the one I have.
I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions for overhaul shops. Three of the shops blessed by Hartzell do not work on their governors, only props.