phapp

Patron
I thought I'd share this to maybe help the next person avoid delay and frustration.

Was hoping to hang the engine this weekend. Alas, I had the exact situation as described in the service letter I got with my FF Kit (HC-SL-61-277). The studs are too short for the governor. I should have checked sooner.

Aerosport was very responsive and are getting new studs out to me ASAP.

As an FYI, the accesory case is an assembly that Aerosport buys and installs after initial run-in.

Also, every single and bolt on the engine was torque sealed, EXCEPT for the 4 nuts that secure the accessory case to the engine case.

The 2 nut technique did not work for removal of the studs. Possibly because they were too oily? Figuring they were junk anyway, the old vice grips did the trick to get them out. Looks like Autozone has a $30 set of stud extractors as opposed to the $70 Snap-On version. Not sure if the $30 extractors will work for installation. I think they destroy the studs just like the vice-grips.

Any other options for installation? 3 nuts on clean, dry studs? $70 Snap-On tool that I will probably never use again?

P. Happ
RV-8

Same issue

I had the same experience with my Engine, except i had mounted it already. Destroyed just one of the studs on removal. Replaced with the longer ones using the 2 nut method and used the Blue Loctite. The installation of the new studs was rather easy even with the engine mounted.

Keith

As an FYI, the accesory case is an assembly that Aerosport buys and installs after initial run-in.

Also, every single and bolt on the engine was torque sealed, EXCEPT for the 4 nuts that secure the accessory case to the engine case.

For future clarity of the thread, the part that is typically referred to as the accessory case or accessory case cover, is the cover that closes out the back of the engine and has all the accessories (mags, fuel pump, etc.) mounted to it.

The part you are referring too is typically called prop. gov. drive adapter or prop. gov adapter. It is true that the engine can be run without it, and it can be easily added afterwards. To change the accessory case (cover) after final engine assembly would require some major dis-assembly.