Berchmans

Well Known Member
I have two questions concerning the installation of the Hartzell CS prop. Is there a gasket that goes between the engine flange and the prop hub? What should the prop hub bolts be torqued too after installation of the spinner backing plate?

First question: No, there is an o-ring that seals everything.
Second question: It should be in the manual that came with the prop, I would think. It has the flange bolt torques in it, I know.

follow up

Thanks...did some reading and found all that info...one question I have havent found an answer to yet. There are three washers under the nuts where the spinner plate mounts. Is the space that Vans describes for mounting the cowling based on the continued use of these three washers or should some be deleted?

Washers under spinner plate

Burke,

The washers under the spinner plate are to locate the spinner plate and spinner relative to the cowling. The four bolts that come with the hub for spinner plate mounting are longer than the remaining six bolts, and usually require a total thickness equivalent of six washers to keep the threads from bottoming. Be sure that after you have determined the spacing washers required that you put enough washers under the nut side of the plate to keep the threads from bottoming. (Hartzell supplies a 1/4" spacer with new props. The spacer is equal to four AN960 washers.)

Thanks...did some reading and found all that info...one question I have havent found an answer to yet. There are three washers under the nuts where the spinner plate mounts. Is the space that Vans describes for mounting the cowling based on the continued use of these three washers or should some be deleted?

Burke,

The drawing of the spinner installation shows the 1/4" spacer + 1 washer before installing the back plate. I just did mine last weekend but can't recall the drawing number.

Update

I should note that I e-mailed Hartzell for the cut out template for the spinner and it fit like a glove after cutting.

I have two questions concerning the installation of the Hartzell CS prop. Is there a gasket that goes between the engine flange and the prop hub? What should the prop hub bolts be torqued too after installation of the spinner backing plate?
You have anyone looking over your shoulder? Might want to get hold of a tech counselor or EAB friendly A&P.

Watching

I do...sometimes I dash of a note before reading too...got all my questions anwered so far and my A&P showed me how to remove the plug too...