rv4dude

What are your thoughts about the new Hartzell CS Composite prop on the front page? I emailed Hartzell, no details on a release date.:confused:

I saw the photos on the front page... that darn thing had my name on it... looks very similar to the 3 blade paddle on new Cirri..

but we'll see..hopefully they won't price us all out...

What are your thoughts about the new Hartzell CS Composite prop on the front page? I emailed Hartzell, no details on a release date.:confused:

My thought$ about the new comp$ite C/$ prop i$ it will be priced in $uch a way that only a very $mall number of builder$ will be able to con$ider it.

true...

I heard awhile back Hartzell might try using the Cirri paddles for homebuilt application. Looks like they are accomplishing that goal.

Cost...an MT is pricy too. But having a "local" factory support is very good to have. I'd rather support a USA company anyday if possible. IF...the price would be the same...I would buy the Hartzell in a heart beat. I'm keeping my hopes up.

GO USA!

As plain as the nose...

Where? This site sir, click on the VAF logo on the top of the page. Look below the challenge coin story, there is a picture of an RV4 with the Hartzell Composite 2 blade on an RV4, add a blade and you have an IO-540 prop, or a Cirrus prop for a small fee.
Being a Rocket driver, none have challenged the good old Hartzell 2 blade paddle "J twist" in overall performance yet. It's heavy, has a 6" extension for the Rocket cowl which restricts it to 3.5 G's but works great. When they offer composite blades for $5K, I'll consider it...

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Kinda fat looking. I wonder how the 3 blade would look.

CRW_7747.jpg

Air brakes

That is a very nice looking prop. That wide cord should really provide some stopping power when the power is pulled back and good climb when the throttle is pushed forward.

Rob at AFS is testing for Hartzell

Rob is checking these out on his 4, not sure about his 10, for Hartzell. He might chime in but told me performance seemed the same as the BA but it was quieter and seemed a bit smoother. That was a month or so ago...

Forgot, lighter too

Rob is checking these out on his 4, not sure about his 10, for Hartzell. He might chime in but told me performance seemed the same as the BA but it was quieter and seemed a bit smoother. That was a month or so ago...

...lighter would be nice on my slightly nose heavy 6.

Hartzell Three Blade Composite

I have almost 10 hours on my RV-10 with the Hartzell composite three blade prop and I am extremely happy with it. The prop is definitely quieter on take off and climb, it also has a very unique sound when the plane is taxiing. Hartzell’s computer calculations show that the prop should have more thrust on take off and then be about the same as the two blade at cruise. The prediction is that it will be slightly slower in cruise (2-3 kts).

Prop Thrust at 10 kts

7605 3 Blade Composite 1180lbs
8068D 2 Blade 1080lbs
8477-4 2 Blade 1040lbs

The weight delta of the 3-blade composite is ~64 lbs, The 2-blade metal is 53.6 lbs. In my opinion the extra weight of the prop is actually an advantage as it increases the baggage capacity on my RV-10.

DSC_0026.JPG

The prop and engine are extremely smooth and there is hardly any vibration in the plane.

Those black blades and polished spinner are a work of art…

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
I talked to Hartzell at OSH about these props. Seems that they are still waiting to hear from Van's about whether or not they (Van's) are willing to sell them. I asked about cost on the 2-blader and was given a number just north of $10K. Ouch, but not out of line with other composite CS props.

Last edited:
What's the three bladed cost?

What's the three bladed composite cost? Considering that the three bladed Hartzell Claw composite aerobatic prop is $50K list (available from Aviat for the Pitts around $30K) 10K doesn't seem so bad.

I for one hope Hartzell sells a ton of 'em. I have a bit of time behind the three bladed claw - it is without a doubt the best aerobatic prop on the market for smoothness, thrust, and aerobatic performance. But when you factor in the twice-the-MT-cost factor, the MT is pretty hard to beat.

Josh P.