BillL

Well Known Member
Hartzell CS BA vs Composite vs WW200RV- Help Please

I am in need of data, please. My order of the engine and prop is pending a decision. I am building an RV7 with IO360 ( standard compression) and Sam James cowl. Here is what I can find here on VAF for weight: Hartzell BA - 58#, Hartzell Composite - 42#, WW200RV - 40#, Sabre 2.25" extension ~5#.

I am not looking for an "aerobatic" prop ( thanks for the information Smokey), but still desire to do mild aero ( loop, roll etc). Also, highly desiring good cruise performance with the BA as a baseline. I can not find a single individual that has posted data from a Hartzell composite - at least for an RV. 6 hours of searching and reading!

I did see flight test data (processed) showing the 76" Hartzell composite better than the BA, on a 3000 # plane. I think it was 7497 vs 7605.

The fine people at Hartzell offered to provide some comparative analytical information of BA vs Composite (thanks John P) but I am still looking for some real data.

I understand that the BA+2.25 spacer is considered OK, for ~+4G, but not sure if any agreed benefits would be provided by the composites.

The lighter weight seems like an advantage, but not for a loss in performance. It seems the 200RV has comparable performance to the BA, but the Hartzell composite?

The Hartzell has 2000 hr TBO, the WW, 650 hr (not 500) inspection. + for the Hartzell.

If i have the numbers wrong, correct it please, and 3 blade consideration is out.

So what are others using with SJ long cowls and 180 hp?

Thanks ,

Last edited:
Another Option...

Bil,

The SJ cowl's down side (and HR2 for that matter) is the (heavy) extended hub required for a C/S prop. Having been there, done that I can throw in option three for the SJ cowl. Having flown built and inspected alot of RV's, I still like FP Catto composite props for overall economy and performance. You also avoid the extra cost, maintenance and nose weight of all three above options.

Pictured below is Chad J's former RV7 with Manual Flaps, MGL Enigma, O-360, cold air induction, Sam James everything and a Catto 3 blade. Having flown many 7's, Chads was the fastest, lightest and most fun to fly of all. He sold it to a customer of mine in S. Africa who loves it.

If I were building a Seven with a SJ cowl...I know how I would choose :)

V/R
[email protected]

Last edited:
C/S prop

I now have the Hartzel BA.

The Catto will be my next prop on the -7.

Last edited:
It's no secret which prop I think is the best. WW200RV comes with a fitted carbon spinner weighs under 40#. Seems to be as fast at 2600rpm as the Hartzell is at 2700. And isn't too bad to look at either....ok I may be bias

RV-7build1136.jpg

Straight and level 190Kts TAS. I've seen 193, but hard to snap a cell phone pic when wringing it out and looking for birds.
aviation2012012.jpg

I have the Hartzell BA

prop on my 7A Slider. Standard Van's cowl with Superior 360 180hp engine. I'm admittedly heavy with MT weight of 1200lbs due to two 680 batteries on the firewall, extra firewall insulation, redundant IFR panel and and a beautiful Classic Aero interior. I'm nose heavy having to watch the max 375 lb. nose-wheel weight with just me in the seat and nothing in baggage.

Knowing what I know now, my first choice would be the composite Hartzell, but I'd also be looking at the Cato if $$ was a big deal. Love that short takeoff and landing provided by the constant speed prop. though...:)

If you go with a lighter weight prop, think about CG. I didn't.
I love my WW200rv, though I don't have any performance data. However I am limited on baggage weight if carrying a passenger.

Zero fuel, 360lbs of meat and 55lb of vegetables puts me right on the aft limit.

IO360, WW200rv. Battery on FW.
Dynon servos, Whelen strobe unit and ELT behind baggage.
Painted but no gear leg or wheel fairings yet.
Empty wt. 1055lbs

A longer engine mount would be the ideal solution.

Catto

Save the money and purchase a Catto 3 blade. I have had a Blended air foil on a 8 and also a Catto 3 blade on a 8, I liked the Catto better. I just ordered a 3 blade for my RV-3B the other day.

Thanks

Thanks to all who have posted information here. I continue to talk with the two propellor guys ( WW and Hartzell) and am not sure a bad decision can be made between the two, given that the result is a constant speed prop.

Basically it seems that the efficiency, and speed of the Hartzell BA and composite, and 200RV are just about equal. I mean to the third decimal. It seems that the BA is better at higher altitudes, but the composite is excellent for TO and Climb. The WW vs BA, is well compared by Mr. Vetterman's data.

Thanks for the heads up on the weight and balance, not sure how to engage definitively with that, but forewarned is forearmed . . .

I will continue to dig for a few more days, then decide in time for the SnF discounts to apply.

Hi Bill,

Curious what your final decision was and how it worked out?

Thanks

I chose the Hartzell Composite. I am using it with the standard SJ cowl and have found that the huge cord on the prop results in a clearance issue at full pitch. I have adjusted the cowl placement and will either extend the nose of the cowl or make new bulkheads for the spinner to relocate it to the rear by 3/4"

I am not flying so can not address that, but the Team Aerodynamix is using them now and like them. I was happy to hear they are equal to the BA in top efficiency. The thrust is much better for TO or loops up to HP limitation.

I did a lot of fretting about using a 2.5" prop extension relative to g loading on the crank, but after thrashing about for a while, some very experienced guys put it in good perspective and I feel confident that no limits will be exceeded within the airframe envelope.