PainterJohn

Well Known Member
I have a question about a prop i purchased at (of all places) a HOT ROD swap meet.

Its a Hartzel Constant speed 2 blade that looks to be in very decent condition. No visable damage, and nothing looks out of shape anywhere. It was wrapped in bubble wrap, all openings and fittings were sealed, still had fresh looking oil in it (that ran out on my shoe when i unwrapped it for inspection)
numbers on the hub are HC82XK-3, type cert 892, Serial 121 T
I searched Hartzell info, and the type cert is throwing me off.. Search by the HC82xk-3 and it tells me it fits a lot of different aircraft/engine combos, mostly the IO 540 seems to be the best config for this prop. Search by Type Cert 892, tells me its not even the same prop i have.. kinda confused about this thing

My question(s)...
1. Is someone missing a Hartzell Prop?
2. Is this model prop (blade hub configuration) worth putting on a Vans, or other small hi performance aircraft or should this stay on a Piper Commache?
3. May it be used even if I have no papers for it?
4. Did I pay too much for a piece of wall art?

Anywho, Just curious what this thing might be good for.. I gave the guy 300.00 bucks for it, i figured if nothing else it will look cool on the wall of the shop.

Last edited:
Mystery prop

Going on nothing but the information you provided I would be skeptical about the prop. You mentioned nothing about a propellor log. Without knowing the history of the prop, or being able to recreate it, I would find a nice place on your wall for it, particularly considering the non-standard source. If you can find the appropriate paper trail you may have found the once in a lifetime deal. You may find a prop shop willing to overhaul it, or even get a trade-in value or something with Hartzell, but no papers...don't install.

Eric Kallio
A&P

Give Hartzell a call or email. They will be able to tell you a lot about that particular propeller. I was looking at a used Hartzell a while ago and they were more than helpful. For $300 it may be well worth the $$ to send it to Hartzell for OH and re-certification. I would not use it though without recert.

Thanks guys, I will send it off to Hartzell and get it over hauled.. Also im trying to put together a paper trail.. I ran in to a guy yesterday at our fly in that said he could help find the papers for it.
All the wrenches around the field all agreed, do not install until its checked out!
I agree it was a strange place for a prop to show up..