Hello Group,

I am looking into propeller/engine combinations for my RV8. At the moment the XIO-360-M1B (180 BHp) and the Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F7497. 74” combination is high on my wanted list. Magnetos/electronic ignition to be decided - depending on restrictions that may apply and deciding on going the experimental ignition route or not.

Now I noticed the C2YR-1N/N7605-2. 74” dia. composite 2-blade on the Van's Hartzell order form. This might be a good prop when I want to save some weight up front - and maybe change to the angle valve XIO-360-A1B6 engine...;)

I can't find any information on the Hartzell website about this prop and about any restrictions that may apply to the engine/prop combinations. Does some one out there has experience with the prop? And does anybody know where more information can be found? (I did send a message to Hartzell, no reply yet)

Edit: Here is a link to an article about the composite prop (article date is 05 March 2009):
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=aa619330-d273-4e6e-85c5-b763861ad51d#d
The 2 bladed prop is 16 pounds lighter then it's aluminum counterpart.

Best regards,
Duncan

Last edited:
Hello Duncan!

You might consider this prop if you're interested in saving weight out front on your RV-8:

http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/series200rv.php

There is a VAF group buy going on right now that is bringing the price down even further. It's about $3000 less than the Hartzell. (See the "Group Buy" section of VAF)

...by the way, are you planning an -8 or an -8A? The 74" Hartzell will get you pretty close to the ground if you're planning a straight -8.

- Peter

74" prop

The 74" prop is absolutely fine for the 8 as they sit higher than 7's. If you catch a prop tip with a 74" on an 8 it's because you are flipping over on it's top.:)
Bill Woods

$3000- typo?

[QUOTE It's about $3000 less than the Hartzell. (See the "Group Buy" section of VAF)

- Peter[/QUOTE]

I see the group buy is $300 max off the reg price but still more money than the hartzell. The above statement must be a typo, no?

Bevan

But don't forget

That the WW200RV comes with the spinner, backing plate, hardware all ready to paint and you will save about 18 lbs up front over the Hartzell.
Both outstanding products and you'll love either one you choose.

Composite Hartzell

Current price from Van's Aircraft $10,920. :(
List price of the WW 200RV is $7,900, group buy could go as low as $7,200. :) That's saving $3,000 and then some.

Saves $3k on the COMPOSITE Hartzell... :) To my knowledge, no one has tried the composite Hartzell on RV's yet. If you've got the dough, you could be the test. WW seems to have quite a following, and makes a FAST prop.

Thank you all for replying to my post.

I did look at the WW 200RV prop as well, but as far as I can tell there has no formal vibration survey been done with that prop, engine and ignition combinations. The WW website states that there are no limits on the prop, but I don't know on what grounds that statement has been made. If someone knows, please let me (us) now.

I am not sure if a vibration survey has been done with the composite Hartzell either, but going all experimental on the prop might not be the way to go for me. I am trying to find out if Hartzell did the survey, but they did not reply to my message yet.

Next to this, there is the matter of support on the WW prop. I am living in Holland and that's a good 5000 miles away from the WW factory... But a big enough saving and a start of the warranty on first use might account for sending the prop to the USA if needed, I know.

@Peter: Thanks for the heads up on the prop size. I did check this and I have to agree with Bill that this should be no problem. I am also stealing the G-HILZ 6" tire setup, so that accounts for a little more ground clearance as well :D

Duncan

Feedback from Hartzell.

Hi Group,

Just to let you know. Mr. Popel from Hartzell answered the questions I had about the composite prop. In short, the answers are:
- IO-360 (180 hp) / No operationg restrictions
- IO-360 (200 hp) with crankshaft dampers, 8.7:1 compression ratio / No operating restrictions.

The weight of the propeller is 43 lbs.
The prop is considered as experimental
TBO is 2400 hours or 72 months
There are propeller repair facilities in Europe (http://www.hartzellprop.com/product_support/index_support.htm )

Mr. Popel can be contacted via: [email protected]

This gives me something to think about, I would rather go with a non-experimental prop to be honest. If I do go experimental, the 200RV comes into scope again... I plan to call WW today to talk about the 200RV and service options for people living on this side of the ocean (Europe).

Does any body know if the Van's supplied XIO-360-A1B6 (200 hp) has the crankshaft dampers?

Yes it does, thats what the -xxx6 represents in the dash number. It's identical to the IO-360-A1B6 except it's not certified.

That the WW200RV comes with the spinner, backing plate, hardware all ready to paint and you will save about 18 lbs up front over the Hartzell.
Both outstanding products and you'll love either one you choose.
I don't think the weight delta is 19lbs compared to the Composite Hartzel..the compy hartzel weighs in the 40s or something doesn't it? The alum BA is the heavy one.

Saves $3k on the COMPOSITE Hartzell... :) To my knowledge, no one has tried the composite Hartzell on RV's yet. If you've got the dough, you could be the test. WW seems to have quite a following, and makes a FAST prop.

I have been flying the two blade composite Hartzell for the last ten months on my RV-4 and the three blade on my RV-10 for the last 9 months. Both props are extremely smooth and I am very happy with both of them.

The two blade prop bolted right on with Van's spinner.

Rob Hickman
N401RH RV-4
N402RH RV-10

I have been flying the two blade composite Hartzell for the last ten months on my RV-4 and the three blade on my RV-10 for the last 9 months. Both props are extremely smooth and I am very happy with both of them.

The two blade prop bolted right on with Van's spinner.

Rob Hickman
N401RH RV-4
N402RH RV-10

Did you take a speed hit on the 2-blade over the previous prop (and what was the previous?)

Hi All,

No final decision yet. I decided to do some further investigation in the pro's and con's of various setups and options (restrictions, 100LL or not, ignitions, etc)

@Mario, I plan on doing my first steps into aerobatics in the 8 indeed. I have not read the thread yet, but will do so this evening.

Thank you all for sending the replies,
Duncan