Gsuit

Well Known Member
Anyone have one of these on an RV? Or know if they are good/bad/other? How do they compare to an MT 3-blade? Price... operational limitations, etc...

My friend's Pitts S2B had a three blade Hartzell "claw". It is a great propeller increasing the performance by about 5%. He pulled a dumb move one day and put it up on it's nose. Replacement cost for the prop $33,000 and yes you read this correctly. I understand Hartzell has been developing new ways to make the blades so the price may come down. If they were reasonable I would have one. Don

Whirlwind

Although I am new to constant speed props, I am very pleased thus far with the whirlwind three blade. Lots of ground clearance and very responsive pitch control. My Hartzell driver instructor is very impressed with the whirlwind response and smoothness. You can buy four Whirlwinds for $33,000.

Aerobatics

Hartzell Claw is for aerobatics, not overall performance. Hartzell makes many composite props but they are for large aircraft, like beech king air's.

If you go to hartzells web site there is a brochure on the "claw". Google it as well and aerobatic sites have reviews of it. Again its a purpose built prop.