Bruce

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone know the procedure on painting a perfectly good
prop.
I want to paint mine gloss black to match Jay Pratt's RV-8.:cool:

Who can paint it in the DFW area and cost if possible.

Thanks in advance

If it's of concern....

One thing to be aware of, Bruce. Does this prop have a type certificate? If so, it will no longer be certified if you paint it with anything other than what the type certificate calls for.
Prop manufacturers are pretty picky about the finish on their props.

And to be more specific...

One thing to be aware of, Bruce. Does this prop have a type certificate? If so, it will no longer be certified if you paint it with anything other than what the type certificate calls for.
Prop manufacturers are pretty picky about the finish on their props.

...that would be Sherwin Williams Polane paint.

This Hartzell kit is stated to be enough for 8 gray blades

Kit No. A-2742 Paint Kit. Gray (Quart) includes:

8 fluid ounces Catalyst (CM30)
4 fluid ounces Accelerator (CM31)
16 fluid ounces Polane Reducer (CM32)
1 quart Paint, Polane, Gray (CM34)
16 fluid ounces Wash Primer (CM24)
16 fluid ounces Reducer, Wash Primer (CM25)
4 fluid ounces Acid Diluent (CM26)

I believe this is the same paint that Sensenich wants you to use too...

Gray

...that would be Sherwin Williams Polane paint.

This Hartzell kit is stated to be enough for 8 gray blades

Kit No. A-2742 Paint Kit. Gray (Quart) includes:

8 fluid ounces Catalyst (CM30)
4 fluid ounces Accelerator (CM31)
16 fluid ounces Polane Reducer (CM32)
1 quart Paint, Polane, Gray (CM34)
16 fluid ounces Wash Primer (CM24)
16 fluid ounces Reducer, Wash Primer (CM25)
4 fluid ounces Acid Diluent (CM26)

I believe this is the same paint that Sensenich wants you to use too...
And I believe that "gloss black" is not an option.

For what its worth Hartzell will paint your prop for you just costs 900 bucks but they will do it.
I was told that black with yellow tips is OK with Hartzell, they even told me if Vans asked them to they would offer that as a option when buying a prop

painting a prop

I just had my Prop painted, Let me back up, They stripped the old paint, alodined it reprimed, painted and balanced it. I priced the paint and the cost came in at $94. I called H and H props in Burlington NC. I gave it to them on Tuesday and picked it up on Friday of the same week. Their cost was
$150.00. Shop around but go to a prop shop
Tad Sargent
7A

Boomer,

Check with Byam Propeller at FTW. I don't know if their prices are what you had in mind, but I do know they do good work.

Glider

Mel is correct, the factorys call for specific paint products when painting propellers, we had to get a special processes procedure through the FAA to be able to do the designer propeller process.

James A Dean
Chief Inspector
American Propeller Service
www.ameritech-aviation.com

Question?

I don't want to steal this thread, but a couple of the responses got me to thinking. Since you are bolting the prop onto an experimental engine, isn't the prop no longer certified at that point unless a prop shop yellow tags it? I am under the impression that you cannot simply pull the prop off your experimental and then sell it as a certified prop. Is that a true statement or not?

If it is true, then I wouldn't worry so much about "certified" colors, etc. Go ahead and use the paint that the manufacturer suggests but as long as you have the prop re-balanced once it's done, you should be okay. It might have an effect on the warranty though, if it's still in force.

I don't want to steal this thread, but a couple of the responses got me to thinking. Since you are bolting the prop onto an experimental engine, isn't the prop no longer certified at that point unless a prop shop yellow tags it? I am under the impression that you cannot simply pull the prop off your experimental and then sell it as a certified prop. Is that a true statement or not?

If it is true, then I wouldn't worry so much about "certified" colors, etc. Go ahead and use the paint that the manufacturer suggests but as long as you have the prop re-balanced once it's done, you should be okay. It might have an effect on the warranty though, if it's still in force.
That's why my lead line was "If it's of concern."
If he is using a certified engine/prop combination and expecting a 25 hr. test period then taking the prop away from it's type certificate would eliminate this option.

Thanks for all the thoughts.
I will not be using the certified version of anything so that is good to go on
Mel's point.
And Glider I will get with you on the shop in FW.

Thanks

Black blended airfoil prop from Hartzell?

Does anyone know if Hartzell would sell a black 2 blade blended airfoil prop for the RV-10? The only black Hartzells I've seen are the 3 blade props. I know you can paint the props...but I'm curious if Hartzell would make it black and sell it through Vans.

Thanks

Does anyone know if Hartzell would sell a black 2 blade blended airfoil prop for the RV-10? The only black Hartzells I've seen are the 3 blade props. I know you can paint the props...but I'm curious if Hartzell would make it black and sell it through Vans.

Thanks

Hatzell may be willing, but I doubt that Vans would be. They have a history of only dealing with a single sku of an item, even if it sub optimizes the performance. The ring gear on the io-540 is a good example of this.

Does anyone know the procedure on painting a perfectly good
prop.
I want to paint mine gloss black to match Jay Pratt's RV-8.:cool:

Who can paint it in the DFW area and cost if possible.

Thanks in advance

I know Grady at GloCustom has painted a few to match the aircraft then we roll them down to my shop and do the Dynamic balance :D

So what about rain ....... ?

Just looked at a painted Hartzell this weekend and the paint had chipped off in several places on the leading edge and back about an inch specifically due to rain! I know a lot of folks won't fly a painted wooden props in the rain because thye think it will chip and and erode the wood?

Two Questions ??

Is rain a problem with normal Catto Props without the nickel leading edge?

Is painting a metal prop any different?

I don't think I would trade a dry weather only painted prop for all weather capabilty ? Is it an issue ? Is that a worry to anyone ? Just cosmetic but looks good but can't fly in wet weather isn't so good ?

Thanks Bill S
7a Ark

piece o cake!

Thanks

I sell 'em silver, grey, or black with white or yellow tips, 2 blade or 3. If Vans balks, let me know and maybe I can help? The -10 hub is different from the F1 version...

Carry on!
Mark

A wood propeller and even a composite propeller such as the Catto [without the nickel leading edges]will see more than just paint damage from encounters with rain. Over repeated incidents and at higher RPMs, the paint will be removed and then material will start to get removed.

With an all metal propeller, the paint will be affected on the leading edges. On the Catto with nickel leading edges, the metal is not painted on the face, only clear coating.

I work on wood propellers (and am setup for metal) and personally like the look of a propeller matched to an airplane's paint scheme. If the two tasks are done at nearly the same time, the odds are good that there is enough paint left over from the airframe to do the propeller. The only question is when it is two different shops (one for the airframe and another for the propeller). Most painters have a personal preference for the paint they use because they have honed their technique relative to the paint.

Paint it black...

Well said Randy. The only downside is most prop shops won't repair it if it's "modified" from TSO, even an EXP application. Some will do a "cash deal" off the books for repairs only. I found this out on the Hartzell B-Hub AD and owning a polished 2-blade Hartzell on my HR2.

The best way to not have paint peel off? No paint...:)

V/R
Smokey
Dues gladly paid in Iraq...
Gladly paid to DR anyway...

Last edited:
A wood propeller and even a composite propeller such as the Catto [without the nickel leading edges]will see more than just paint damage from encounters with rain. Over repeated incidents and at higher RPMs, the paint will be removed and then material will start to get removed.

So I suppose if you have a wood prop, you might as well go ahead and paint it whatever you like but know you can't really fly in the rain. That would have been a killer for me because if you can't fly in the rain, it leaves you sitting on the ground too many times unless you just fly blue sky days ??

Good to know the difference!

Bill S
7a Ark