Confused....again...

I'm having a hard time deciphering the AD, but if an HC-C2YR-1 / 7497 as listed on Hartzel's site is the same as Van's number of C2YR-1BF/F7497 , then it looks like I have one.
I hope I'm wrong. :confused:

I'm having a hard time deciphering the AD, but if an HC-C2YR-1 / 7497 as listed on Hartzel's site is the same as Van's number of C2YR-1BF/F7497 , then it looks like I have one.

The -1BF hub is included in the SB, but you need to check your hub's serial number. If the serial number ends in "E" (this would have been stamped in the metal at some point after it left the Hartzell factory to indicate that the initial eddy current inspection was performed) or has no letter suffix, the SB applies. If you hub's serial number ends in "A" or "B," the SB does not apply. The affected hubs were manufactured before 1991, so I'm guessing that you're in the clear.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks Kirk.

I am about to do first flight in my plane and recently heard about this AD. I was about to look up the AD and you helped me.

I wonder how many RV's are affected by this expensive AD? Of course now we have to be concerned regarding a ub crack.

I did not need this!

Don't panic yet!

It finally hit home with me that it is the Hub serial # they are talking about; not the prop model #. I went out after work and pulled the spinner. Mine had the "B" suffix. :)

You can use the HC-SB-61-269 service bulletin mentioned in the AD to find the serial number. Hartzell has all of this on their web site along with a very useful AD and SB search tool.

Oops! Ryan beat me to it. I'm a slow typer.

Last edited:
Well huh... that's no good. Looks like I'm not the only one having a hard time translating the text of the AD.

I have the blended airfoil HC-C2YR-1BF/7496-2 which basically fits the description, but my prop paperwork dated Aug '04 shows the "Hub Factory No." as A72169B. The B at the end means I'm good to go (I hope)?

I'm kinda sensitive to prop AD's and hub failures... blades coming off and all that. I had it happen to me once inflight in a C-310; not good. Funny thing though, a few minutes ago I decided to look through the Hartzell website for more info and found they've posted a teeny tiny b/w photo of my damaged 310. I found it here; http://www.hartzellprop.com/flight_safety/index_safety.htm Click on the small pic of the Queen Air with the sad, droopy engine, then scroll halfway down to the "In The Cockpit - During the Runup" section, there's my 310 with a big hole through the nose.

Last edited:
I will need to remember that name next time I buy a prop... Hartzell you say... Been there and done that, and have the bloody shirt. :eek: Kind of like BMW, (Bring Money With-you) :)

Pulling the spinner seemed like too much work so I just looked in the propeller log for the serial numbers...

Wait a minute

Pulling the spinner seemed like too much work so I just looked in the propeller log for the serial numbers...

Guys, My "assembly" serial # on the paperwork is the same as my "hub" serial #. I suggest using the service bulletin to locate the proper serial #.

Last edited:
Joe, my book has the serial numbers of the blades and hub as well as the serial for the prop assembly.

Hmmmm....

I generally don't read stuff that has an applicability back in the early 90's, since the prop and engine on the Val were new in 2005, but then I realized that we also have a 19-year-old RV-6 in the hangar! So I went and read through the AD and had the following thoughts:

1) This is actually a modification to an existing AD (adds applicability)
2) It applies to older hubs

hen I remembered that when I was building, there used to be LOTS of talk about the older Hartzell hubs having an AD, and the light bulb went off ....I am guessing that this one is nothing new! I went and dug out Louise's prop logbook, and sure enough, the prop that was installed on Mikey brand new in 1993 is not applicable by serial number.

It did get me thinking though....why don't we see lots more postings about the old AD anymore? it used to be a hot topic of conversation among RV builders in the early days of on-line groups and forums?

I'm guessing here...but I wonder if, in the early days of people putting C/S props on RV's, there were a lot of used props being installed - removed from certified airplanes by prop shops, and sold at good prices (possibly because of the AD?). This old AD might have been what makes some people talk bad about the Hartzells to this day, even though thousands are flying in RV's with no repetitive inspections - because they were produced in more recent years (like within the past 15 years), and the AD doesn't apply. Again, I am guessing here, but you just don't read about as many people buying used props these days for their new airplanes - maybe because of the good price you can get through Van's?

All speculation of course, but I have found the late-model Hartzell's to be extremely reliable and trouble free. Glad both of ours are in that category!

Paul

This AD is a re issuance of an old one. Hartzell NEVER made a 7497 in anything but 'B' suffixed hub. Beyond that, the small number of cracks found in the inspections has made me beyond 100% comfortable ignoring the guidance from the AD for non-acro applications, even with NON suffixed hubs.

After seeing an 8000+ RPM excursion at Reno in a Glasair III keep all three blades, and a 'scrapped' hub that a crooked shop put back on an RV I work on perform flawlessly for years... I'll always pick Hartzell first.

These compact hub props are **** near indestructible folks...

It does apply on a friends...

1948 Bonanza...

This old AD might have been what makes some people talk bad about the Hartzells to this day

I agree with that Paul, That had us talking as to why any previous owner ever switched to Hartzell from the Beech electric prop(No AD). Probably for multiple reasons- And the permanent fix would be 1/3$ of the value of the classic ship. Our 6A is welded gear down and is faster than the the old Beech - But give respect to that old bird. All RV's have a very uplifting roots to that craft :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the post.......

Paul. I have one of the blended Airfoil Hartzells purchased in 2007. I was somewhat alamed reading the post last night and fixing to go look up the SN#'s on mine at the hangar. Now feel better that this AD probably does not apply to mine. I have really liked the CS, particularly when slowing down in the pattern.

Last edited by a moderator: