Jetj01

Well Known Member
When I order a new Hartzel BA prop from Hartzel, does it come with the prop bolts when delivered or is that a seperate order? And if so, where have you guys been ordering them from?

Thanks,

The prop bolts are included. In fact..they're sort of built into the hub. You almost wonder how in the world they get them in there. I'm still trying to figure that out. Maybe someone in the know can tell us?

This is a poor picture but it's the best I could find of the prop bolts.

2007-03-10.1983.jpeg

Not to worry, they come with the prop.

BTW- CS props don't have bolts per se, they are really studs that are slipped thru the holes in the hub and a castle nut is screwed on and then a roll pin is slipped through the castle nut (like a cotter would normally be). They come like this right from the factory, so you just install the prop.

This is done as a factor of the design - you can't get a bolt in there. so these are two piece bolts, if you will.

Be sure to grease the O-ring and prop hub with Aeroshell #6 grease (or whatever they recommend) prior to install and absolutely keep your prop hub square with the crankshaft when you install it. This is the most important part of the install - you don't want to ruin the o-ring that seals the prop hub to the crankshaft as this is an oil galleyway under pressure from the governor. Go slow and do a few turns doing opposite bolts as you work your way around the hub pulling it tighter.

It is best done as a 2 person job so you have an extra pair of hands helping you hold and tighten the prop. A prop sling held up by an engine hoist, if you want to swing the bucks for that, is another nice alternative.

Once torqued, you actually saftey wire two bolts at a time using the previously mentioned roll pins as a safety wire hole.

Hope this helps.

Thank You!

Thank you both very much! I was wondering why they were not for sale on the Van's site! Ha!

Here is a little tip when safeting the nuts, alot of times the roll pin that is through the nut that the safety wire has to go through is facing the hub and seems impossible to get the wire through. Start by torquing all the studs to the proper torque and pick one nut to start with, if somewere along the way there is a roll pin that is facing the wrong way just back off the nut and run the wire through with plenty of lead and then retorque the bolt to the proper spec, using .041 safety wire as called out for can be a real pain to work with.