JDBoston

Well Known Member
On the RV-14, and I assume on many other models the wing spar ends up being shipped with many of the bolts pre-attached that hold the ribs. In the process of removing the bolts, then putting them back, and torquing them I notice that the heads no longer look pristine. They certainly are not stripped, however I have seen a couple builder logs where those same bolts and nuts look brand new.

So the question is: What tools do people use (or technique) to tighten to lessen the wear? I use a craftsman mechanic set (socket). I am turning the nut typically, however even holding the bolt in place with a 3/8 (AN3) socket on the other side the back and forth wears a little.

When do you consider replacing the bolts instead of using them again? I am aware if the shank/grip of the bolt is scored that would call for a replacement, but what about the head?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. Your probably just wearing a bit of the cad plating off. Not the end of the world.
If it bothers you enough, upgrade your socket and wrench sets. Craftsman tools are pretty rough and bulky. You could protect the head and nuts with blue painters tape, but that is a lot of fussing.

I like S&K. Cheaper than Snap On but are very similar in quality for the basic stuff like socket and wrench sets.

Scotty - on the bolt head? That is where he is seeing the wear spots...
Sorry. I read the following....

I notice that the heads no longer look pristine. They certainly are not stripped, however I have seen a couple builder logs where those same bolts and nuts look brand new.

And my brain interpreted it as "I noticed that the threads (not heads) no longer look pristine" because of the "They certainly are not stripped" comment.

The steel MS nuts do remove the cad plating from the threads.
Sorry for the confusion...

I was disappointed to see my newly cad plated cylinder hold down nuts all boogered up from the cylinder wrenches.....oh well.....:(