Veetail88

Well Known Member
I recieved I think 71 little brown bags of small hardware with my RV-8 QB fuse, wings and finish kit.

So to find parts, I have to get part numbers from the plans, find the numbers on the inventory sheets, cross reference a bag number, find the bag and then dig through the bag's contents for the part.

Last week I spent 8 hours building the rudder pedal assembly of which I'm sure 4 hours were spent finding all the little bolts, washers, nuts, cotter pins, etc. Very frustrating for my type A personality!

Having organized all the bags into bin drawers, I've sped up the process a bit, but, what I really need is a hardware parts list organized differently.

A list, in alpha numeric order, displaying bag number and then assembly identification would be extremely helpful!!

Does anyone know if such a list is available?

If I have to, I'll plug all the data into a database myself, but it seems someone (or maybe Van's) has done this before.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Jesse Bentley

RV-8

Muskego, WI

This is the one area that could use a huge improvement. One thing that will make life easier is to go through the bags and pull out all of the AN bolts, nuts, rivets and washers etc. and organize them in a drawer stack or something like that. As for the rest of the parts I don't know any way of figuring out what bag to look in other than the packing list. Van's does everything else very well so you'd think they could organize the parts in a logical and intuitive manner. Don

Van's does everything else very well so you'd think they could organize the parts in a logical and intuitive manner. Don

I suspect the manner of organization is logical, (and maybe even intuitive), for the particular needs of the factory. :rolleyes:

I have these multi drawer gizmos from Home Depo, etc. that I put all my small parts in. I put all my AN hardware and rivets in the appriate "bin". When the plans call for an AN3-10 bolt, I can just go to that bin. Same with the rivets. As for the other small parts; I have bins labeled canpoy parts, etc. So far that works for me.
Hope that helps.
Rick Maury
Wings and tail done, fuse in progress
RV7

I have these multi drawer gizmos from Home Depo, etc. that I put all my small parts in. I put all my AN hardware and rivets in the appriate "bin". When the plans call for an AN3-10 bolt, I can just go to that bin. Same with the rivets. As for the other small parts; I have bins labeled canpoy parts, etc. So far that works for me.
Hope that helps.
Rick Maury
Wings and tail done, fuse in progress
RV7
Same here and I still have some bags that I didn't open. Hey, at least you don't have the brown bags anymore and you can't tell what's in them. :(

The other big thing I never understood is why Van's just doesn't ship all the different rivet sizes by the pound? I mean, just give me one bag of -3.5 rivets, one bag of -3.0, etc. Why did I have to put with multiple bags of each rivet size? Can't they estimate how many rivets are needed and convert that count to weight? That seems like it would be much efficient by saving material (bags), save time to bag them, and save storage time by limiting how many bags are required stock.

In the end I just ordered 1/4 pound bags from Aircraft Spruce of the common rivet sizes rather than requesting more rivets from Van's. 1/4 pound of AN426-3.5 rivets is a LOT of rivets.

Last edited:
That's what I'm talkin about

Larry,

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately for me, it's not specific enough for my -8. :(

My sister in law (who's a data input whiz) has offered to input the hardware inventory sheets into an exel spreadsheet for me.

When she's done, I'll post the file here for anyone else that might be able to use it.

Thanks

Jesse Bentley

RV-8

Muskego, WI