Geico266

Well Known Member
Okay guys, what is the best and fastest way to identify hardware called out in the prints? I use the Aircraft Standards book, and it is worthless. Most of the hardware called out in today's Van's prints are up to date specificed hardware and the stuff is the book is for WWI.

Specifically, how do I find out what the heck a 5702-75-60 is?

How about a MS21083-N3?

Where do I find the info?

I have no experience with the RV-12, but even with the RV-7A I found that it sometimes takes a little sleuthing.

The Standard Aircraft Handbook still contains a lot of useful and relevant information. The difficulty you encountered though is that much of the hardware that was previously described by AN specs is now referred to (or superseded by) MS or AS specs. So you'll sometimes need to figure out what corresponds to what. But for the most part, the actual hardware hasn't really changed for our purposes.

The suggestion to search Van's list is a good one. Also, you can use the search utilities at online parts stores such as Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, Chief, GAHco, etc. And often times even a simple Google search will yield useful results. A Google search on each of the parts you specifically asked about yields the answers on the first hit.

Thanks for the replies guys, I wonder why they supply an outdated book with the kit. Seems to me if a part was superceeded by another the newest revision of the Aircraft Standards book would have it.

If Van's now supplies any such book with the kits, that's news to me. Van's used to provide a list of recommended books, but none were actually included as a part of the kit.

I'm also wondering if we're actually talking about the same book. The one I think we're talking about is titled "Standard Aircraft Handbook for Mechanics and Technicians" by Larry Reithmaier. Most recent was the 6th edition, published June 17, 1999. This includes references to both AN and MS part numbers. Sometimes one or the other, sometimes both. There may be more current reference materials out there, but this is still one of the better ones.

Anyway, a better target for your gripe would be our defense establishment, for coming up with one arcane part numbering system after another, after another... and all are still in use to varying degrees...

Good luck!