LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
I am new to this aircraft hardware language. My inventory revealed some hardware shortages (as well as instructions...how do I build this thing!?!?). I know there are some missing, but I don't know what is.

I made a PDF with the parts laid out and with "X" over what I know what it was called. If anyone with experience could spare a minute, I could use some help identifying what I have and don't have.

The PDF is located on my build site here.

Also, in one of the clear plastic bags, I may have another problem. The bag and the paper inventory differ. I counted the smaller washers=59. So, are the 55 and the 4 parts VERY similar and maybe in there and I counted 4 of the "washer 5702-475-48" as part of the 55?
308h1g2.jpg

OOppps

Also note on the PDF that the parts list calls the bag "3010-1" but my bag is listed as "3010"

Hey Nick, since you are admittedly new to aircraft hardware, you need to find a copy of the little black book called something like "The Mechanics reference guide" (something like that). It lists the details of all the AN and MS hardware. This will greatly help you in learning what's what, and how to identify stuff. I still look at mine after 40 years of doing this....

Paul

There is a hardware company, Gmco (ed. GAHCo, thanks Greg ...), or something like that, who posts here occasionaly about all kinds of aviation hardware and some unique bits and pieces. They will send you the little book Paul is speaking of, or thier copy or version of it. Very handy. I will look at my book tonight and get you the contact if somebody does not chime in first.

Also, AC-43-13-1b is a required referrence in my mind. It is downloadable as a PDF just do a quick internet search. It has a chapter dedicated to hardware and hardware identification.

I believe those washers missing are the large washer's that go with the rod end hardware to keep the rod end on the bolt should the inside come apart.

Last edited:
GAHCo (General aviation hardware co, I believe)

There is a hardware company, Gmco, or something like that, who posts here occasionaly about all kinds of aviation hardware and some unique bits and pieces. They will send you the little book Paul is speaking of, or thier copy or version of it. Very handy. I will look at my book tonight and get you the contact if somebody does not chime in first.

Also, AC-43-13-1b is a required referrence in my mind. It is downloadable as a PDF just do a quick internet search. It has a chapter dedicated to hardware and hardware identification.

I believe those washers missing are the large washer's that go with the rod end hardware to keep the rod end on the bolt should the inside come apart.

Hey Nick, since you are admittedly new to aircraft hardware, you need to find a copy of the little black book called something like "The Mechanics reference guide" (something like that). It lists the details of all the AN and MS hardware. This will greatly help you in learning what's what, and how to identify stuff. I still look at mine after 40 years of doing this....

Paul

Correct, but he won't find the 5702 washer in it....:)

It is a "Vans special" washer used to retain a rod end bearing in case of failure.

5702-475-48 Z3 is a .190 X .562 X .048 washer

0.190 is the ID - fits an AN3 bolt
0.562 os the OD.

Perhaps the RV-14 aileron control system differs in design from the earlier models and the washers are no longer needed?

Free Sources of Good Tech Info

Nick,
What you need to know is available for free, online, from the FAA. Chapter 5 of FAA-8083-30 AVIATION MAINTENANCE HANDBOOK - GENERAL deals with aircraft hardware in great detail. You can download it below. It's large, so the download is broken into chapters. See

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/amt_handbook/

What you want to know, starts about page 42 of Chapter 5.

Do you have a copy of FAA AC 43.13-1B? This is the "bible" of aircraft building and repair. Best of all, it's free. Chapter 7 deals with hardware. It's over 400 pages, and is also available to download chapter by chapter. See

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument

Genuine Aircraft Hardware [I believe Tom is an advertiser here] also has an extremely handy hardware reference guide available. For general hardware info, this document is much easier to use.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/

http://www.aviationpros.com/reg/rmi/display/10342329

I would recommend that any RV builder avail himself of all of these very useful documents.

Charlie
PS Not hardware related, but very useful. The A.I.M. is also available for free download at

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/

To download the A.I.M. in PDF form, go to the page linked above and click on the link [near the top] marked "Open the AIM PDF here"

Last edited:
I was in this boat last year, so I can empathize with the issue. My main tools for understanding all of this were Google and my micrometer. I found sources that would show the dimensions of the various parts and then when in doubt, I could use the micrometer to get precise measurements.

In the -7 wing kit you get a bag of "Miscellaneous Washers". That was all kinds of fun inventorying.

The 5702's are itsy itsy bitsy little washers, but I dont see them listed on the bag, so they might have been overlooked. They may be lurking in some brown baggy somewhere. I found on each of my inventories that I would come across something I couldn't find or identify, right off. By the time I was finished with the inventory I was able to cross it off through process of elimination.

Sample board-set up for success

If you really need help in this area, make a sample board which you hang on the wall . Use a dab of clear silicone to place one of each item on the board with a label. (This also works with ammo)

Drill a clean sample hole of sizes needed in the board with a label.

A bolt gage is helpful to determine bold length or you could lay out one on your sample board with a ruler.

Anything that slows you down in your build should be analyzed for ways to overcome the problem. For example: changing drill bits: buy a second drill and leave a #30 in one and a #40 in the other.

What washers???????????

Your photo shows that washers come in various size outer diameters while still having the same inner hole size------there is also an un shown washer that is a lot smaller in OD, Vans sometimes uses them as spacers on the cross bolt in rod end installations, when the bolt is supported on two sides-----like a control surface. The large area washers are also used on rod end installations, but for where the bolt is only supported on one side-----such as the throttle arm. In this case, they are a safety to keep the ball from coming out if the rod end fails.

Then, just to make matters more fun-----most of the washers come in different thickness-------and different materials too.

Dont be surprised to find 4 or 5 different washers that all fit the same bolt size----they are all used for specific jobs.

Have fun:D

Last edited:
The 5702's are itsy itsy bitsy little washers, but I dont see them listed on the bag, so they might have been overlooked. .......

Not exactly, they are not all "itsy bitsy" ones.

The 5702 washers are "Vans Specials" and come in 4 flavors -

WASHER 5702-475-48 Z3 .190X.562X.048 WASHER $0.12
WASHER 5702-617-125 WASHER 125X3/4X0.515 $2.37
WASHER 5702-75-60 STEEL WASHER FOR AN3 $0.11
WASHER 5702-95-30 STEEL WASHER FOR AN4 $0.12

The above from Vans "the List" http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt

I believe the last two listed are the "istsy bitsy" ones....

Last edited:
The Book.

GAHCo (General aviation hardware co, I believe)

It is Genuine Aircraft Hardware Co.

Most of it is also on our website.

The 350 page reference book is $8.00 if that is all you buy.

If you call in the order and you are buying some actual fasteners, the sales staff will usually let you have the book for free if you ask politely.

If you call in the order and you are buying some actual fasteners, the sales staff will usually let you have the book for free if you ask politely.

Get the book...it's been one of *the* most useful reference books in my library during the entire build.

Now, about that website... :)

Ironically GAHco doesnt have these washers, at least they are not in the book. The closest thing is an NAS620-10, but the O.D. is too big for the purpose that the 5702-75-60 is used for, which is as a spacer on a spherical bearing.

It is, however, a very useful book. And, the book even opens on Saturdays ;)

Get the book...it's been one of *the* most useful reference books in my library during the entire build.

Now, about that website... :)

Another vote for the Little Blue Book from gen-aircraft-hardware. One of *the* most useful reference books in the library.

And I wish Van's would quit calling the itty-bitty 5702 "washers" washers. They're really "spacers". I about went mad trying to source "washers" that size (for spares, because you are absolutely guaranteed to drop one of those m-f-ers while trying to install them...btw, washer wrenches help here :) ).

To the OP, or next person researching " 5702-475-48 Z3 .190X.562X.048" for use on an RV-14... it's a zinc-coated steel washer used on the aileron hinge - see KAI 23-02.

In 2018, mine came in Bag 3104, as well as 3342