Tram

Well Known Member
We've been eyeing an EFIS. Started thinking D10. Then we wound up thinking we wanted the D100 and at some point in the future add in an EMS of some sort.

Started doing some pricing and it looks like it would make more sense to just pick up the D180 and get the EMS all at once..

Just thought I'd see if anyone have any comments to share on their D180.

Thanks

I have a D100 and D120, mounted on the L and R side of the panel, respectively. The interconnection allows me or the copilot to see info from both instruments on either screen, which works perfectly for my application. Could do the same thing with a D180 and slaved screen. If you don't want the second screen, I suggest the 180 is a great instrument.

cheers,
greg

Have Flightdek 180. Love everything about it except it has no moving map. I would spring for the new skyview system. Other than that, it's a great system.

Yeh, I think we only need 1 screen. We are going to have steam backup's - AI/airspeed/altimeter.

The plan was to move our current engine instruments over to the left with the Dynon and then eventually upgrade and add an EMS later, but I think it'd be better to go ahead and do all that now, while the panel will be out, etc.

Tram: I have both the D-180 and -100 in my -9A. I have no problems now for over 4 years. My opinion would be if you want the -180, watch the forum here and pick up a good used unit, many pilots are upgrading to the generation 3 Skyvision. You will still most likely have to buy the sensor package from Dynon, but you will save some bucks on the -180. Another opinion, no steam gauges, I too, put in steam gauges with the 2 Dynons. After the 40 hour Phase I, I realized was no longer monitoring the round gauges and had fully adapted to the electronic presentations. I replaced my panel ($$$) and omitted them. Dan

Happy with my D-180

If you wanted to go the next step and get some redundancy choose also the D-10A or the other Dynon unit with larger screen to match the 180. Both will communicate with the 180 and you can move some of the graphics over the the other side. Although the new Sky View might be my choice today. I installed an airspeed indicator as the only other steam guage on the panel. Find myself using the airspeed guage just from habit.

Well, the biggest reason for buying the Dynon is to get the autopilot out of it. I'm pretty happy with our steam gauges, but a glass panel would be nice.

We don't fly the RV in hard IFR, so having a ton of redundancy is not needed. If it's down to min's outside we'll take another plane or drive. :)

Really?

...... The interconnection allows me or the copilot to see info from both instruments on either screen, which works perfectly for my application. cheers,
greg

I didn't think you can get AH or Altitude/speed info to the D-120 from the D-100. If so, how do you do it?

Best,

Pierre,

The DSAB wires (blue, green) go to a common bus (AP blue/green wires go here also) and everything is interconnected. To get EFIS info into the EMS screen, you simply go into the setup menu on the EMS and select which screens you want displayed in the rotation (there are a lot of different options). Then you can push the screen display rotation button and the display will scroll through the various screens you have selected.

Once the data you want is on the screen of your choice, you then have access to the normal button menus that accompany those data screens that are displayed from either screen (i.e., you can change the EFIS display parameters from the EMS screen if the EFIS data are displayed on the EMS).

Hope this helps.

cheers,
greg

I guess I need to read the install manual because I only got to where it suggests that I set up the DSAB from the EFIS....so rather than mess something up, I need to read, because it would be nice for other pilots flying right seat, to have an EFIS in front of them.

Best,

Pierre,

Quite simple, connect all the blue wires together and all the green wires together and all the Dynon stuff talks to each other. The rest of the procedure is in the soft menus under the "setup" (you will have to do this individually for each unit to configure the screen rotation you want on each one).

Yes, it is wonderful for the right-seat pilot to have the data in front rather than having to get a cricked neck looking at my display. Certainly my wife appreciates that!

cheers,
greg

Thanks Greg...the two Dynons were communicating because I could get EMS info on the 100, so I called Ray and while I sat in the airplane, he read Dynon's instructions from their web site....success! Really easy!

Thanks again,

I have the FD-180 in my RV-7, flying for the last two years. Works great; never had a problem with it. When I bought it, it was Dynon's latest and greatest. But if I were building my panel now, I would get the latest and greatest today, which is the Skyview -- bigger screen, synthetic terrain.

SkyView generally runs about $1K more than a D100 series in an equivalent configuration.

D100: $2,700 (Superbright + wiring harness)
7" SkyView + AHRS: $3,900

D180: $3,500
7" SkyView + AHRS + EMS: $4,500

Engine probes and wires are identical between the systems.

All you need with SkyView to make it do a PFD or an engine monitor is to have the AHRS or EMS box. There isn't more required to make it work.

SkyView really adds value when you start using it for a map and/or transponder, which saves you money against what you would have purchased anyway. The SkyView costs more than a very simple D100 panel for sure, and that's why we still sell lots of the D100 and D180.

Thanks for the reply.

Are all updates for the synth vision free or is there a fee for updating?

Boy, choices, choices..

I'm pretty happy with our 6 pack for the flying we do in the plane, but we'd like to add an autopilot, so we started eyeing the D10A to add that capability. Then the D100.. Now, I'm looking at the D180 and well.. as of about 20 minutes ago I'm contemplating the SkyView.

Maybe I'll figure it out..