BH1166

Well Known Member
Walt, Mel, and all other A&P’s and pilots ….. have you seen, if so, guess at how often in count and years, when a magneto Impulse Coupler came apart while engine running/flying. At 1000hrs, 15 years in service, its time to think what to do this month/CI. New Slicks are at the same or higher price than some EI systems. I run LOP , 7-7.5 gph, have a Slick Start ( was on aircraft when puchased) engine starts easily. I have nothing I‘m looking to improve, Slicks have served me well, I feel well versed on value of each type ( mag, EI ) . Only looking for something more factual on IC mags, failure rate etc. Thanks

My friend had his impulse coupling explode in his RV-8A. Didn’t know it until he saw oil on his nosewheel fairing. Not sure of the hours, but it was awhile before he reached 1000 hours TT.

Walt, Mel, and all other A&P’s and pilots ….. have you seen, if so, guess at how often in count and years, when a magneto Impulse Coupler came apart while engine running/flying. At 1000hrs, 15 years in service, its time to think what to do this month/CI. New Slicks are at the same or higher price than some EI systems. I run LOP , 7-7.5 gph, have a Slick Start ( was on aircraft when puchased) engine starts easily. I have nothing I‘m looking to improve, Slicks have served me well, I feel well versed on value of each type ( mag, EI ) . Only looking for something more factual on IC mags, failure rate etc. Thanks
I haven’t ever seen any failures or pending failures of impulse couplings personally. A good majority of those were on mags that were higher time and had never had 500 hr inspections done.
The only actual failures (2) I have personal experience with were both at relatively low time ( well under 500 hrs) and were caused by defectively manufactured rotors that subsequently ended up becoming a service bulletin.
Unless you are wanting an excuse to change to a different style ignition, my recommendation would be that you have by the book 500 hr inspections done by someone very familiar with doing that work, and then reinstall them.

Not sure why anyone would forgo maintenance, unless you just like living dangerously! CI's won't leave my shop without mag service.
So, my suggestion is OH the mags and move on. I also recommend Carbs/FI systems be OH at 10-12 yrs.

Both 4372 4370 new in 2008, I had IRAN by my A&P at 500hrs, new gear, brushes , SB complied with. So today is time for 1000 hr check. New or rebuild ( that uses in spec parts) or IRAN. No issues at all. Thanks for the responses.

To the OP: if you have a Slick start, then you do not need an impulse coupled mag. You want a ‘retard’ mag with the slick start.

To the OP: if you have a Slick start, then you do not need an impulse coupled mag. You want a ‘retard’ mag with the slick start.
Bob, per my understanding, pin 3 is used for Retard Mag. In my case not so, its empty. Thanks