N546RV

Well Known Member
OK, my time with the tail kit is coming to a close. Elevators are hung and the rudder should be going on the vertical tonight after work. Which means it's time to figure out storage. Previously, I just hung the individual parts from the garage rafters as I finished them, using some extra tiedown straps I had lying around. By the time I was done, I had a lot of ratchet strap mechanisms without the associated strap due to my storage.

I could just pull things apart and store them overhead like this, but I'd rather not have my straps tied up (har har), plus I really don't want to pull things back apart again until I need to.

I've seen guys who have the horizontal and vertical hanging on walls. I've even got a nice wall in my dining room picked out for the horizontal, but I'm worried about hanging the thing securely. Lord knows I don't want it falling off the wall and getting damaged.

Can you guys share how you did the wall-hanging stuff? Thanks!

For clarification purposes, here's a photo of what I'm wanting to do:

FP14112012A0005N.jpg

Hanging the horizontal like that looks pretty simple, just a matter of finding the right wall hangar, making sure it's in a stud, and putting it under the forward spar.

The vertical + rudder, however, I'm not sure about. I feel certain I've seen photos of this assembly on a wall, but I'm having trouble imagining how it was hung/secured.

use lawn chair webbing

and punch a grommet into each end. This makes a great sling. A pair of them holds any control surface. I hung all of mine that way ff of any available vertical surface. They're light enough that you don't absolutely have to hit a stud.
webbing and grommets available at Lowes etc.

I have a 9 foot ceiling in my shop, so I screwed eye-bolts into the ceiling joists (my ceiling is wafer board painted white). Then I wrapped my empennage components loosely in bubble wrap and suspended them horizontally close to the ceiling and above the garage door. I used more than one rope and/or several knots configured for redundancy. Conserves my wall space and keeps them out of the way where they won't get dusty or dinged.

Works for me. :)

P.S. Oops, you asked for "wall hanging examples" so I guess mine doesn't count. Also, my single garage door doesn't have the same spring arrangement that your photo shows. I have one large door and a coiled spring at the wall to assist the door lift. I have only one track in the center of the door, so on either side of the chain track, I probably have more available space above the door than what is shown in your photo. But if you wanted, you could use some of the area between the raised garage door and the ceiling for some of your empennage components.

Last edited:
I got expired fire hose for free at my local fire department and used that to hang my emps and flaps from the garage ceiling. Strong, doesn't tear, not abrasive to aluminum.

You can mount a couple heavy duty bicycle hooks to a wood plate and screw it into a wall stud, then just set the hs on it. If your real paranoid a couple zip ties to the hooks and it won't go anywhere.