lower engine mounts off the engine so that the mount clears a
"step" in the engine casing. The "step" is the mounting flange
for the oil sump.

All's well on the right lower mount, but on the lower left its
as if the shim isn't thick enough, or more to the point, the
flange on the engine protrudes too much. Consequence is that
mount doesn't sit flush on the engine - its slightly at an
angle with the top part of the mount making contact and the
lower part interfering with the oil sump flange.

Is this a common problem or am I breaking new ground here :) I
guess the obvious solution is to pull the engine and grind off
the flange on the oil sump mount. I'm more than a little
hesitant about doing surgery on my engine.

Before anyone can help, they would need to know what engine style mount?? Type I dynafocal can be different than type II in this area and the type II can pose different problems.

As far as I know the type I with a 1/8" thick washer between the engine and the forward face of the vibration isolator on both bottom mounts will suffice.

cl

Its a dynafocal I - it already has the shim washer from Vans in place, but it doesn't give enough clearance for the vibration mount to clear the oil sump mounting flange.

Just talked to to Bart at Aerosport (engine supplier) - he said he has seen this in a minority of cases with the ECI engines and that the solution is to remove a little of the material from the offending area and then touch up with paint for corrosion proofing.

Lord washers needed at lower mounts

The Lord washers are about 1/8 inch thick and are slightly larger in diameter than the 1/16 thick AN970-7 washers.

Would the correct washers work?

The Tiger parts list calls for a J2218-6 washer as required for the two lower mounts, between the mount and the engine. I believe the part number is a Lord number and not a Grumman number.

All of the other washers are "as required" and used as shims to center the engine with the cowl. But the lower two washers are compulsory, and are the 1/8 thick ones. The other shim washers also come in a 1/16 version, with a Grumman part number and a Lord number of J2218-61.

The tiger engine is a O-360-A4K...

gil in Tucson

...just shimmed my Tiger engine mount this year....