Junglepilot

Well Known Member
Got my engine on this weekend after going back and forth on installation methods with other builders/DAR's etc, and decided to attach engine mount to engine first, then line up the whole assembly and mount to firewall.

Simple is an understatement. Being able to get to the bolts on the engine side of mount from any angle, see cotter pin holes clearly, and work mount easily by hand over mags etc. was great.

Of course I had attached the mount to the firewall several times previously to check fit so that part was anti-climactic. Here's a photo in progress showing easy access to back:

IMG_7369_vans.jpg

And here is link to my build site with pix and more documentation:

http://www.junglepilot.org/2011/05/18/hanging-my-rv-8-engine/

Last edited:
Agree

I am following my EAA tech counsellor's suggestion on this one. I hung my engine first on the mount, which was bolted to an engine stand (for photos, see my blog: http://www.maplewoodblog.blogspot.com )

The ability to get all around the mount to "wiggle" (ie hit with a hammer) the mount bushings was very helpful, and I am looking forward to working on the engine while I have 360 access

So, while I am not happy about the way the 2010 college football season ended, I have to agree with you on this

Steve M
Eugene, OR

Last edited:
Go Beavs!

Sorry, my son went there. Although, son-in-law is a wild Ducks grad. You can imagine what family outings are like...

It's really not a big deal either way in my experience. Using the techniques documented in "The Illustrated Guide to Engine Hanging" on Doug's front page, it took us less than 40 minutes to hang the engine on the -3 a couple of weeks ago, and we were taking our time. If I have to pull the engine later, I might keep it on the mount, just because there is less in the way that might have to be moved.

It's good to hear reports from people who found putting the mount on the engine first worked well. That really just means that it is not too terribly difficult either way.

Paul

Hanging the engine the easy way.

There's only one way to hang the engine in my opinion, and thats off the plane. Messed around for hours trying to mount the engine with the engine mount bolted to the plane without success and scratching paint. Vans instructions in the firewall forward kit say mount on the airplane start from the bottom. Section 10 of the manual says start at the top. Gus at the factory says start at the bottom. Well I took junglepilots advice did it off the plane bymyself in 20 minutes. Start at the bottom right, bottom left, top right, top left. No scratched paint. If your using a vacuum pump mount the inlet tube before you put the engine on. Good luck

I mounted my mount first....piece of cake.

I think it took under ten minutes. Not sure why some seem to have so much trouble and others none at all with this method.

It's really not a big deal either way in my experience. Using the techniques documented in "The Illustrated Guide to Engine Hanging" on Doug's front page, it took us less than 40 minutes to hang the engine on the -3 a couple of weeks ago, and we were taking our time. If I have to pull the engine later, I might keep it on the mount, just because there is less in the way that might have to be moved.
Paul

I couldn't agree more. It took me 45 minutes to hang the O-360 on my -9, by myself. That included lifting the engine, moving it into place, and installing the cotter pins.

how about A models....

Just wanted to see if any A model folks have taken the approach of putting the engine on the mount off the plane and then installing everything to the firewall. If so, how much weight did you use at the tail cone to hold the plane in place?

I am sort of wondering if I did take this approach if I should install the nose wheel leg to the mount prior to bolting everything to the firewall.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I attached the engine to the mount first and it was apple-pie easy. I put a couple 80-lb bags of concrete on a pallet and lashed same to tail hook. Worked great.
I attached the nose gear leg later so it was out of the way during install.