turbo

Well Known Member
i have never seen this before! Lennys wife said if he could fit it in the hanger he could get it. this came after he flew his waco to Alaska from florida and the fuel bill was $10,000!!!!! well he flys the cub more now and he fit it in the hanger with the other two planes. there you have it. anyone else been doing this with there RV. once it gets over center it just goes on its nose. he has the cub on dollies and the nose support on dollies too. takes two to tango here. PS you might have noticed the grumman has no rudder, when he fired up the waco the cub rolled into the grumman and hit the vertical which is being repaired.
img0239e.jpg

The Original Nose Draggers

I have seen photos of aircraft (rows and rows) at the Taylorcraft factory in Alliance, Ohio stored this way. Vintage photos, obviously. I might try that when I move my -6 to my hangar which now houses my T-Craft. I'm thinking LSA for the T-Craft down the road.

Last edited:
An old man at the airport where I worked as a kid used to lift his Cub up and hold it in that postion for 10 seconds before he started it to "prime the oil pump"......

CDE

An old man at the airport where I worked as a kid used to lift his Cub up and hold it in that postion for 10 seconds before he started it to "prime the oil pump"......

CDE

I had to do this one time with an Aeronca 7 AC that I owned. The oil pump was worn out and I was a week away from replacing it when away from home for a hamburger. Started the engine and did not get oil pressure so shut it down. I checked oil level and it was fine. A buddy of mine with a Cub was with me and said lift the tail. I did, restarted the engine and oil pressure came right up.

I had to do the same with my Taylorcraft. No oil pressure on start up. Appartently there is a small amount of oil in a pocket that will drain into the pump to prime it. Hold the tail up, restart and oil pressure returned.

My '41 T-Craft was the same way.
What happens is the worn oil pump will sometimes loose it's prime. Lifting the tail allows oil to run from the sump, down to the front of the engine. When you lower the tail, that oil runs back down the galleries into the oil pump priming it.

The first time I was told to do this, I was sure that the mechanic had many friends around watching. But it does work.