riobison

Well Known Member
Gents,

I have bought a 40 * 30 ft hanger to house my new RV4 into as well as future projects. It has 12 ft ceilings and I?m painting the roof, walls and floor in white

The confusion is on the lighting. I?m being told by some to run the lights as 3 rows of 40 ft fluorescents as there will be less shadows.

Other guys are saying to go 3 rows of 30 ft spaced out.

Then should it be T?5?s or T?8?s?

I?m being told that with the 12 ft ceilings theT5 lights could be too intense for all day and the T8's would be better. The white floor will probably amplify that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

T8's are fine. Three full rows evenly spaced which ever way is easier to hang. You won't notice the light difference. Give each row it's own breaker and switch.

Gents,

I have bought a 40 * 30 ft hanger to house my new RV4 into as well as future projects. It has 12 ft ceilings and I’m painting the roof, walls and floor in white

The confusion is on the lighting. I’m being told by some to run the lights as 3 rows of 40 ft fluorescents as there will be less shadows.

Other guys are saying to go 3 rows of 30 ft spaced out.

Then should it be T’5’s or T’8’s?

I’m being told that with the 12 ft ceilings theT5 lights could be too intense for all day and the T8's would be better. The white floor will probably amplify that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

Here is a thread where hangar lighting was discussed in comprehensive detail (45 posts!):

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=83256&highlight=flourescent

I have a 60 x 60 hangar and around 17' fixture height. I have 4 rows of three. I wired with two switches, each switch does every other fixture. This way you can either have good or great light.

Hangar lights

Check into LEDS that look like 4 foot fluorescents , we just had some installed in our shop .

My hangar is 60 X 72 Morton building 14' walls. All white inside, it has 5 trusses. I put 3 F96T12CWHOs on each truss, each bank of lights/truss is on it's own switch I forget how it's all breakered. There's some receps on the 20amp breakers with some of the lights. IIRC the lights pull about 3.5 amps ea. So I just loaded it accordingly. All my wiring is in conduit, & my gas and air is steel pipe.
I'm a licensed electrician/plumber so I figured I'd just as well do it right the first time.
BTW, the T12's were the norm when I did mine.:)