c177tx

Well Known Member
Howdy, I am an old lurker, and recent new member. I am a Cardinal Owner in Texas and now I am looking for some more speed. I have been researching the RV's for sometime now, and have decided to get past the paralysis of analisis stage. So I have ordered the preview set for the RV8. And will get paralized again on the old debate, where to put the third wheel, will it be manual or electrict trim, slider or tip up, Nikon or Canon oh sorry wrong forum for that. But just to many decisions decisions... I will be doing a slow build as I have more time than money right now, as I will be starting another project that will be taking the majority of my cash ur credit. My wife and I purchased a lot a couple of years ago in an residential airpark TS36, web site www.silverwingsfly.com. We plan to start constructing in the next year or two. I plan to start the empenage in my garage this winter, and have the hanger finished before the RV. But I will need to have the hangar built, and would like some imput from others that have built their own hangers as to what kind and why, pictures would be nice. I have seen the many Metal hangars out there, but would be interested in others such as, pole barn buildings or wood hangars.

I love the house and hangar that was recently posted by Mr Paul Rosales, but we just dont plan to got that grand..can we say Taj Majhal...all kidding aside those are some nice digs he has there.. The hanger will need to be large enough to house the planed RV8 and my old trusty 68 Cardinal. I believe that 60 x 40 would be just fine.

G. W. Moore
RV8 preview plans
68 Cardinal driver

Last edited:
Building A Hanger

We have been trying for over 60 days just to get the plans from the vendor, yes, the money has been paid so far no luck just excuses. .
Dealing with the FAA is not much better, lost application etc.
The industry seems to have a several suppliers whom are not what they appear to be. Many are just web sites, One supplier raised the price 3 times in 24 hours.
Be careful. I will post more soon.

Garrie,
First, it's hangar. Not hanger. And I have 2. Mine are both all steel. The first is manufactured by Tyler Builder Systems (Tyler, TX), and the other is by Red Dot Buildings. They are both very similar. They both cost about $12.5K each. This price includes 1 personnel door, insulation, and one 10' roof vent. The first was built in 1990 (40 X 60 X 12) and the other in 2002 (45 X 50 X 14). That price was delivered on the truck. I unloaded the truck and erected the buildings with the help of EAA friends. I did much research and would do the same again. Feel free to call if you would like to talk about it. 972-784-7544

Mel,

Thanks for the information and spelling check.. At 1:20 in the am with my Texas accent, hangers sounded right. I have edited the post.

G. W. Moore
68 177
-8 preview plans

No offense intended. Just pulling your chain.
BTW, web sites for both companies; tylerbuilding.com, and reddotbuildings.com.

Last edited:
Morton makes some good ones, based on a wood pole frame. I believe, especially with the increases in steel prices, they are considerably cheaper than a steel frame. There are several new Morton hangars at a couple local airports near me, and they seem to be good. I think all the owners are quite pleased.

Your choice of location (which airport) can make a big difference. I was going to build at Claremont, NH, and it turned into the hassle of a lifetime. It was over a year of constant hassles just to get a building permit. I am now planning to build at Springfield, VT. Attitudes of local bureaucrats will make a HUGE difference. So, a closer airport may not be the best choice.

details on my hangar experiences at:

http://brian76.mystarband.net/hangar.htm

Morton does indeed make some good buildings, but from my experience, they wanted about 2.5 times the cost of all steel buildings. Another thing I don't like about the Morton buildings is they simply pour a concrete floor. There is no foundation.

Brian,
Thanks for the information on Morton. Before I purchased my lot I looked into building at our local public airfields that are still open. 2 airfields in the Austin Area have been plowed up in the recent past. The City of Austin closed Robert Mueller at midnignt one night and plowed the airfieds at 1:00am. KAUS forget it unless you are Michael Dell. Austin has plenty of room at the old Bergstrom Airforce Base, they even opened a go cart racing park out there. But when it come to General Aviation they are not very friendly. KHYI, 20 year ground lease with a 10 year option, Permits and regulation traffic down IH35. Georgetown is getting busy and having to use the toll roads I can get to the airfield faster, but it is still a long way away for me.

Matt,
My records show that I paid $9,562.50 for the hangar foundation (2250 sq.ft.) and $5,350 for 2000 sq.ft. of ramp between the hangars in June of 2001.

Mel,

Thanks. I've been considering the economics of building rather than renting. I figure with a hangarmate or two I might actually come out ahead on the deal. Maybe...

Matt,
Come on over and take a look sometime. After takeoff from DTO, just follow 380 east 44 nautical miles (8TA5).

Hangar Doors

My wife and finally took the plunge and started having a home/hangar build at Ottawa Executive Airpark, MI (Z98). The hangar door will be 38 x 14, I've received pricing from Schweiss. They recommend the straps instead of traditional cables and also sell mainly steel doors. The weight without siding or insulation is just over 2,000lbs. Can someone with experience give me the pros and cons of steel vs. aluminum and also any manufacturers of aluminum doors would be great.

Gary
N715AB

Both my hangar doors are steel. The first one, 38'X10.5', my neighbor & I designed. It's 17 years old and still works like it did the day we installed it. ($1,000 total)
My new(er) hangar has a Hi-Lift door, 40'X12'. ($3,500 including auto-latch)
Biggest disadvantage to aluminum is cost.
I really like the Hi-Fold door.

Similar prices...

Mel said:
Matt,
My records show that I paid $9,562.50 for the hangar foundation (2250 sq.ft.) and $5,350 for 2000 sq.ft. of ramp between the hangars in June of 2001.

Mine was a bit more in the same time period.... 2001

My 3350 sq. ft. hangar slab was about $18,000, but was probably over-designed by a structural engineer... had lots of concrete in it... :) ...and was poured at short notice by a high end custom house builder.

The steel hangar came with the loads needed for strength calculations, but no foundation design. Interestingly, the failure mode is wind uplift if the doors are open in the design limit 80 mph wind. The extra concrete is weight to hold the hangar down in this load condition...

The ramp was about $2.50 a sq ft. for 4 inch concrete, after I had the ground levelled to about 6 inches below finished grade. The cost included the forms and the base aggregate layer.

However, in our area of AZ, concrete costs have gone way up since 2001... :(

gil in Tucson

Doors

You might want to consider the non-electric option too...

http://www.hortonstackdoor.com/stackdoor.htm

Mine is similar to this vendor picture at 42 ft wide and 12 ft high

doncrumdoor2.jpg

One advantage if you are building in the hangar is the fact that the lexan panels let in a lot of light, giving a nice work area...

gil in Tucson

60' X 60' X 15' Steel Hangar

We are just finishing our Hangar at KEOS.
Building and BI-Fold Door (42' X 12' clear opening)
and 4" Insulation delivered 35K
Slab bids varied from $ 4.55 to 9.25 per sq Ft
Approach bids varied from $ 2.50 to 3.75 per sq Ft
Erection of Building bids varied $ 2.00 to 5.00
Roughly $ 20.00 per sq ft
Contact me for more information Cell 417 629-8712
or via Email

All cost aside, you could fit the C177 and RV in a 45x45 with NO problem. I'm gonna try to squeeze our '68 and the -7 when it is built in my 42x38 box here at KPOC. Right now the hanger has the Cardinal, my RV tail, four cars, and an Ercoupe and a half (disassembled). All my A&P tools, a fridge, two couches... you get the idea. It's tight, but if you are looking at spaced NEEDED, 40x60 is a bit more than you NEED.

Excuse me but there is no such thing as "more than one needs" when it comes to hangar space.
"If you build it, it will be filled."