szicree

Well Known Member
I anticipate moving my project to a hangar within the next year and am hoping somebody on here can tell me how to go about finding one. Do I get on a list now? I live in SoCal. and have no idea about how the hangar thing works. Any ideas, thoughts, warnings, ramblings, etc. are appreciated.

Hangarian advice

I got on a bunch of waiting lists, called bulletin board numbers and always seemed to be a day late.

In the end, what worked for me was to let everyone aware that I wanted a hangar (and posted a bulletin on the board). When one came available, a friend called me who had the hangar next door to it. I called the landlord and rented it the same day.

In the landlords own words... 'We have a waiting list, but everytime I call someone on list, they've moved, are no longer interested, or won't return phone calls. It's easier just to rent it to you."

Vern Little

vlittle said:
I got on a bunch of waiting lists, called bulletin board numbers and always seemed to be a day late.

In the end, what worked for me was to let everyone aware that I wanted a hangar (and posted a bulletin on the board). When one came available, a friend called me who had the hangar next door to it. I called the landlord and rented it the same day.

In the landlords own words... 'We have a waiting list, but everytime I call someone on list, they've moved, are no longer interested, or won't return phone calls. It's easier just to rent it to you."

Vern Little

One more tip. Ask around at your local EAA meeting. I live in the SF Bay Area and hangar space is very tight, however I'm now convinced that if you know enough homebuilders finding a hangar is not a problem.

I just got on a waiting list here. They say it's about a year, but they just rented 3 hangars in the last month - they just go down the list and whoever says 'yes' first gets it.

So I'm thinking about giving them 1st month's rent in advance and telling them to give me the hangar -before- calling me. That way I'm locked into it whether they reach me that day or not. I'm not sure if they'll do this or not, but it seems worth a try. I need someplace to put all the crap my (new (first!)) wife wants out of here... Gotta clear the 'airplane factory' !!!

Last edited:
szicree said:
I live in SoCal. and have no idea about how the hangar thing works. Any ideas, thoughts, warnings, ramblings, etc. are appreciated.
Steve, I haven't seen your name on the SoCal-RVlist (Yahoo group). If you're a member of that group, it's probably one of your best resources for finding a hangar (just send email). If not, you might want to join.

Where are you located, where do you intend to fly off Phase One, and where do you ultimately want to base the plane?

I'm in Fullerton and kinda like the idea of being at Chino. Fullerton seems like a pretty rotten place to have a problem.

Doood! You're right down the street. We'd love to have you join us at Chino. It's really a "boys and their toys" club over here. It's an extremely rare Saturday if there aren't at least 3 or 4 of us launching together for some fun.

I've got a lead for you on a shared 50x40' private (non-county) rectangular hangar at CNO with another RV-4 -- 2 doors down from mine (hope you like flying with other RVs on weekends... :rolleyes:). It's occupied now but the guy is getting one of the brand new hangars and is apparently moving out at some point. Can't make any promises, and obviously no pressure on your end either, but I'll email you off list and copy the other RV-4 guy to see what the availability may be.

Try Cable Airport

Hi Steve,

Another option is Cable Airport in Upland. Like Chino, it has plenty of flying RVs and a whole bunch of others under construction. You can build/finish your plane in the EAA hangar and have access to our very complete metal shop. Cost is $85.00 per month, and when you're ready for your own hangar, airport management will help you find one quick. Right now, we have 5 RVs under construction in the EAA hangar, and room for one more. Contact me if you want more information.

Mark