I am thinking of buying a Port-a-Port in CA, but one thing that scares me is the airport that I am at goes month to month. The county can terminate the lease at any point, and tell me and my port-a-port to hit the road. To my knowledge they have never done that to anyone. What kind of terms do other hangar owners have?

I would suggest you talk to your airport, city, or county manager and ask what development plans if any are in the works for your section of the airport. They don’t have a horse in the race so you should receive an unbiased answer.

Way back when I owned a port-a-port at French Valley (F70) I held a similar month-to-month lease. As far as I know, those hangars are still there. However, at Carlsbad (KCRQ), some of those port-a-port owners lost their space due to airport development. A few were allowed to relocate on the field.

Regards,

Last edited:
I have a 20-year lease at KTSP, Tehachapi Municipal. I'm 5 years into the lease and fully intend to vacate the state of California in the next 5-7 years, so I think I'm in good shape. Knowing the people who run the city of Tehachapi (the lessor), no way I would have signed a dirt lease month to month.

Do your homework to determine the ultimate cost of ownership. In California, you get charged property tax on hangars.

My lease

My T-hangar is privately owned, and I sign a year-by-year lease. The owner wants to sell, but the lease let's me stay in it until the end of the lease term (I won't get forced out early if he sells).

Hope that helps.

I have a 20-year lease at KTSP, Tehachapi Municipal. I'm 5 years into the lease and fully intend to vacate the state of California in the next 5-7 years, so I think I'm in good shape. Knowing the people who run the city of Tehachapi (the lessor), no way I would have signed a dirt lease month to month.

Do your homework to determine the ultimate cost of ownership. In California, you get charged property tax on hangars.

The trouble with the Port-a-Ports is that it is really not a "dirt lease", it's a storage/parking place lease only.

It's causing a problem at our Airpark where they sell for high amounts based on location on common property, not actual value. At this time all of the stuff that made them "portable" has long gone.

Looking at TSP I see only 6 Port-a-Ports. Is one of those yours?

...Looking at TSP I see only 6 Port-a-Ports. Is one of those yours?

No Gil. I failed to see the distinction when I read the original post.:eek: I have a bolted-to-a-slab hangar down on the west end. I know the port-a-ports you're talking about, but I don't know what the lease terms are. I do know they've been there ever since I can remember.

No Gil. I failed to see the distinction when I read the original post.:eek: I have a bolted-to-a-slab hangar down on the west end. I know the port-a-ports you're talking about, but I don't know what the lease terms are. I do know they've been there ever since I can remember.

I think since the trailerability of them is now in question, I see very few new ones.

I would cost more now to make a small T-hangar in the shape of the Port-a-Ports than to simply make a larger square box hangar with less wall angles and only one roof level.

I would actually rate them as near obsolete...:)