GrayHawk

Well Known Member
Doug's front page article on getting an internet connection at the hangar prompted me to post this regarding the system I put in this past year at my hangar.

First I installed antennas and radios for a 4 mile link from hangar to the wind generator tower on my property where other network antennas are located.

getmediaobject.ashx

Then inside the hangar on a 'retro' desk, system with large monitor for displaying full size drawings (excuse the mess).

getmediaobject.ashx

Small video window on the right, is a webcam monitor to watch my driveways at home while at the hangar.

Last edited:
Now I need to convince Doug to set up a Wifi network on the field so the rest of us can enjoy FREE internet access :D

Oh, forgot to mention, in the antennas photos, there are 2 main antennas, the parabolic for the backhaul link (4 miles) & the white vertical rod for local coverage so pilots can pick up latest weather, TFR, etc.

I had good Verizon cell-phone service at my hangar

but the FBO Wi-Fi would not reach. I just recently opted for the Verizon "portable" Wi-Fi card ($35/month for 3 GB) and it links my iPad and laptop. The nice thing about it is I can move my Wi-Fi anywhere I have cell service.

but the FBO Wi-Fi would not reach. I just recently opted for the Verizon "portable" Wi-Fi card ($35/month for 3 GB) and it links my iPad and laptop. The nice thing about it is I can move my Wi-Fi anywhere I have cell service.

This access point (white rod antenna) is not your normal FBO low power AP. First it is right in the center of the hangars, has high gain outside antenna, and power level set right below the maximun allowable EIRP.

Piggy backs off my home ISP and no more $$$ to spoiled phone companies. However, logs indicate lots of mobile phone connections are made.

gh

Question to network gurus thanks OP for the thread :). Across taxiway a helicopter school has a WiFi. Weeks ago after I moved in, I came to them, introduced myself and asked permission to use the spot. The owner is very nice guy and he said no problem just not on daily basis. My question is how much use is considered too much for this spot? I do not want to create any trouble for the network. I would gladly pay them for signal but I doubt they accept.

WiFi.jpg

Question to network gurus thanks OP for the thread :). Across taxiway a helicopter school has a WiFi. Weeks ago after I moved in, I came to them, introduced myself and asked permission to use the spot. The owner is very nice guy and he said no problem just not on daily basis. My question is how much use is considered too much for this spot? I do not want to create any trouble for the network. I would gladly pay them for signal but I doubt they accept.

That question may be hard to answer. It is sort of "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as to the value. Each individaul will see a different value.

My data points:
1. I put in an airport wide network at Spicewood TX (88R) which was then taken over by the pilots association. Spicewood is privately owned but open to the public. So the network costs are paid from the pilots association dues.

2. My current airport is a 'city' airport so I chose to not charge anything. Charging makes it looks like a business with all of the city bureaucrats looking for a cut somehow. But having said that, there are many options available to handle abuse of the network if that should ever arise. One who abuses the free network might find theirselves locked out.

gh

I'm one of the beneficiaries of GreyHawk's internet service at our local airport. It's been very handy to be able to open my hangar door and sit in my Midget Mustang with my laptop computer and update my Garmin 496 without having to take it home.

I'm also probably one of the phone hookup users GH mentions. I sometimes forget to turn off the WiFi on my iPhone and end up using his WiFi instead of the 3G network on my iPhone.

I think the coolest part of GH's technology, however, is the big 42" monitor he's using to look at full-sized drawings for his RV project.

One of these days I'm going to have to test his home defense security system to see if he can really fire a potato gun from his computer at the hangar! :D

Last edited:
One of these days I'm going to have to test his home defense security system to see if he can really fire a potato gun from his computer at the hangar! :D

Fear not. The potato bazooka is down for lack of ammunition.
But you can look inside the hangar by browsing http://66.54.153.5:84

I think guests can view but if not User:weenie Pass:techno