BobRv4

Well Known Member
Be easy on me this is my first post.
I've been at FFZ (Falcon Field Mesa AZ) for almost 30 years. Building several RV's, CJ6, Helicopters. Now all that is over. FFZ will no longer allow homebuilding in the hangar(s), due to fire/city code. So PLEASE before any RV guys plan on moving to FFZ check out the lease or you may really be disappointed.
Not sure the reason, but have heard other cities are moving this way.

It's sad but that's the case at many municipal airports. If you go by the actual fire code, you probably wouldn't be allowed to keep an airplane in a hangar. :)

Complain to the FAA under Part 16. I did. It didn't do any good but if enough people complained, the FAA might set some standards that accommodate homebuilding. http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_compliance/complaints/

By law, federally assisted airports must accept all 'types, kinds and classes" of aeronautical use. That ought to include building an RV, even if painting, welding and such must be done somewhere else.

I think it's not uncommon for cities to ban maintenance in hangars, not because it is dangerous but because the on-field FBO does not want competition. They do have a point, that the FBO is paying business taxes that free lance guys are not. Fortunately here at klvk the city recognizes that home builders are not taking business away from the FBO, and allows home building in the hangars. No spray painting, though.

chandler (CHD) is at it too

Chandler muni is in the process of renewing their hangar leases too. Final details aren't in yet, but a big crack down on "non aviation" use and business activity are in the works. I think they are going to allow homebuilding though (I hope).

KGEU is at it too, but...

Glendale has been through a lot too and we will be able to build in the hangars. They do want to prohibit welding, grinding, etc... in the hangar. But you can do it outside it with a few reasonable restrictions.

It's not over there at FFZ yet, my view is it has just started. First your mayor is a pilot and has a plane based there. I think you can create a more open process to establish new rules and regulations. Second the FAA can and will help. Building for recreation and education is an inherent aviation activity and 5190b grant assurances support all aviation uses. You will have to work to prevail, but it is worth it, IMO.

OTOH, you had a fire over there and ammunition was in that hangar. The fire departments immune system is in high gear and bureaucrats don't think when they are running like that. Don't yell, negotiate in a rational manner. Get organized and hunker down for a multiuser process to secure your reasonable aviation use of hangars there.

Good luck. If you want to see Glendales new rules and regs that are not approved but will be submitted soon contact me.

Hangar fire

Yes we did have a hangar fire, rumor has it, it was a Mesa retired fireman's electric cord, go figure!

Hangar Maintenance

Had a similar situation many years ago in Manassas, VA where the airport manager wanted to prohibit hangar maintenance. After a presentation by the local EAA chapter explaining that the FAA allowed certain owner maintenance and that it was impossible to tell the difference between approved maintenance (by anyone so authorized by the FAA) and building an aircraft, the manager changed completely. The result was a prohibition of anything causing a spark that might cause a fire (i.e., welding) and EPA restricted activities (i.e., painting).

I know there was initial concern that itinerant mechanics were coming in and taking business away from the FBO. After showing the manager that a 'drive by' view would not allow him to identify approved versus unapproved activity, the issue dropped.

I suggest going back to the airport management board and discussing the issue. Get the local EAA chapter involved. If fire is really the concern, then the local FBO should be equally affected. I doubt they really want to be doing their work outside.

PatD