Tango Mike

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a better solution to solo-hangaring an RV-4 and an RV-6. The last bit of slope up to the door rails is too much for using my Tail Dragger dragger.

Currently I use a boat winch secured to a rear support post connected to a four-wheel dolly I built that cradles the tailwheel. The hook on the end of the winch strap snags an eye bolt on the dolly and I crank it up the slope until the mains cross over the door rails.

I'm thinking about replacing the manual boat winch with an electric one like the Warn typically used on four-wheel drive vehicles. A 1000 lb tow capacity might work, but the next size up would probably be a good idea.

With an airplane tail on to the hangar and the tail wheel in the dolly, I'd hook up the cable and run the winch from the rear of the hangar.

Any comments/suggestions on this or a better solution would be appreciated. Thanks.

TM

We did a 12V electric winch on a Bonanza with a slightly uphill ramp. It was SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. As in several minutes. Check the speed before you buy. You might have to add gears or pulleys. Consider one of those electric-drill-powered wheel things instead. I would really think 1000 pound pull is plenty! In fact, something with a clutch that would give rather than pulling the wing off due to an unseen obstruction would be preferable.

Had that problem and solved it with a 4:1 block and tackle. It had a lot of rope to it (I used 1/8" Dyneema, excessively strong and very light) and a handle I made from a dowel.

Hook it to the tailwheel and the handle was out near the wing. Pull the handle out of the hangar and the plane rolled right to where I wanted it to.

It was pretty easy. Just a long straight pull.

Dave

Other guys on here have used the 12V remote control winch from Harbor Freight. They are on sale for $55, I just ordered one.

Other guys on here have used the 12V remote control winch from Harbor Freight. They are on sale for $55, I just ordered one.

Here is one in action. Tow bar is only for steering, winch on the trailer tongue is doing all the work. The remote is nice to have.

P9250028.jpg

Thank you, guys. These suggestions are a good example of the creativity inherent in the builder's psyche, triggered by encountering a problem, analyzing various solutions, and picking one. Not sure which one will work the best for me at the moment. One of the issues is the distance over which the powered/assisted towing has to work.

The current method requires me to pull out the boat winch strap (that I've had to extend with an additional piece of strap material) from the rear of the hangar within a few feet of the door rails and lock it there with the winch. I use the taildragger dragger to haul the airplane as far up the slope as I can and temporarily hold it from rolling back down by wrapping the winch strap around the handle of the dragger.

Then I chock the mains, undo the winch strap, remove the dragger, set the tail wheel in the custom dolly I made, hook the winch strap to the dolly and crank the airplane in. I use the dolly because I'm nervous about connecting the strap directly to the tailwheel assembly, and the pull force is transferred from the tailwheel up just like it is when using the dragger.

At the hangar today I'm going to measure the distance from the winch to the position of the tailwheel with the airplane backed up to the hangar as close as it will go and remain stationary. Then I'll measure the distance from the mains to just past the door rails, which equates to the length of assisted tow I need to avoid the current multi-step process. Then I'll pick one of your suggestions and try it.

I really appreciate receiving the benefit of your experience. Thanks again.