Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi,

I may be doing the airpark thing in the near future. Does anyone know a good website for hangar homes (floor-plans and such)? Just looking to get some ideas on what's available without designing a "custom home" if that's possible.

Thanks!

Rick Stoffel
RV-4 almost done
1961 Beech Debonair

Where on "Living with your plane"

www.livingwithyourplane.com/

Living with your plane web site has a couple dozen sample house plans.

I just bought a lot at Aero Estates and I've been looking for plans as well. I couldn't find any plans at Living With Your Plane. Where did you see them?

--- Nevermind. I just realized you have to subscribe. But it's was worth it. There's a bunch.

Last edited:
Jon
Where is Aero Estates is there a web site? Also how did the lots looks as far as pricing and such and what kind of restrictions do they have?

I just moved into my airpark home this past month. It is a normal house plan with a hangar attached at one end like a garage. I found some ideas from the Spruce Creek realtor's web site www.fly-in.com. In the houses for sale section, they ususally show floorplans. I stole an idea to put a window in my den that looks out into my hangar.

One of the residents in our airpark is a contractor----has built many of the homes here.

I would imagine most of the existing airparks have a contractor or two in the area that have experience in the special building needs of an airpark.

You might try looking into local assistance.

FFIW, we also have a fairly typical home layout, detached hanger out in front, pushed to the lot line on one side. Without the hanger, our place would fit into a lot of "normal" subdivisions.

My Air Ranch

Rick,
The plans for the house\hanger I built were found @ coolhouseplans.com
The runway is on the end of my back yard so my main view is
out the rear of the house.
A large window in the dining room gives an awesome view as do the rest.
(I own a glass company ... glass \ solar screens no problem).
I walk out the kitchen door into the "garage\hanger".
I used 2 sliding metal doors which I manufactured myself w\ barn door hardware.
(The beam I had to have manufactured did cost me a few $$).
It just fits the rv-8 with a small work area.
Just look for house plans with 2+ car garages.

Good luck!
Steve 81604
Waiting on delayed fuse .. should be this week!

Last edited:
Aero Estates

Jon
Where is Aero Estates is there a web site? Also how did the lots looks as far as pricing and such and what kind of restrictions do they have?

http://www.aeroestatesairpark.com/

It's on Lake Palestine. Kinda far from Houston, but that's a good thing, except it takes me 3 hours to get there. The prices are cheap as airpark property goes, especially considering it's on a lake and has a private boat ramp and seaplane base. Half acre lots go for $29K.

It's really beautiful country. Rolling hills and tall pines. Lake Palestine is fairly big and very clear compared to anything in south Texas. However, that part of Texas almost has an actual winter, which was a tough sell for my wife.

Different parts of the airpark have different restrictions. The part I'm in allows hangar houses. Most of the lots that are left require a separate house, but it can be attached. The size requirement is 1600 sq ft if I remember right and there's no masonary restriction. It's not John Travolta's kind of place, but it's not a dump, either.

The runway is turf and it's much improved from when I first started looking (about 2 years ago). The owner has been plowing most of the money from sales back into the property as improvements. The only bad thing is that it's a 9-27 and it's got enough grade to be mostly one way.

home plans

the problem is with a hanger home built in a steel hanger is the layout of the house is dependent on the layout of the steel. the windows have to fit between the bracing and every steel company's is a little different. I would suggest deciding on a hanger company first and then fitting the house in the building.

bob burns
N82RB
RV-4

Hey, neighbor!

Hi Jon,
Which lot did you buy at Aero Estates? We bought lot 2 on the west side.

74 & 75. How about you? They're going like hot cakes. I just wish I could make the move. Seems like every time I check my 401K, retirement gets a little farther away.

74 & 75. How about you?

Lots 74 & 75 have a lot of woods on them, dont they? Should be really nice shade.

We bought lot 2. Lot 2 is on the west side right against the paved highway.
Here is a picture from the east side of lot looking west.

IMG_0013 (Small).JPG

This is a picture of the lot from the west side looking east.

IMG_0018 (Small).JPG