topgun260

I'm currently building a hanger/house and am curious as to which insurance companies will insure a building like this. Any recommendations? Also, do I try to insure it as a house with an attached shop or do I insure it as a hanger/house? How do insurance companies look at renting out hanger space in a building like this?

Thanks!

Is the hangar attached to your house? Mine is and is covered under a standard homeowners policy. From their perspective, it is just like an attached garage. My agent said they could cover it even if it was detached but it would take a separate policy to do so. I use State Farm.

What part of the country do you live in?

When I built my combined hangar/ home 12 years ago, Nationwide Insurance would not insure me. Whomever I spoke with took the matter to their underwriters and their choice was not to get into the hangar/home type of coverage. The perceived risks, are based on the underwriters ignorance.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest, where Enumclaw Insurance writes coverage, their rates are as good as I have found for our type of dwelling with hangar attached. Enumclaw Insurance is a highly rated company that only insures in the northwest area that has not had any of the catastrophic losses that some of the other bigger companies, ie, Safeco, State Farm have due to hurricanes, etc. and their premiums really reflect that. According to the local Enumclaw agent, he had the company underwriters come to look at this airpark and they were excited about providing coverage for this community.

For the first 8 years or so of ownership of my hangar/home, Country Companies covered me, but at nearly double the cost of Enumclaw. Country Companies did not really understand what they were covering, other than that it was a house with a big garage, even though they were informed what it was, and the agent came to look at the place.

Jake

Check closely

My insurance company, Farmers, said since it is powered mode of transportation it is not covered by homeowners. Like autos, the plane (even if it is not flyable) is not covered and needs it's own policy. That is why we need builders policies and specific auto coverage.

Your situation might be different, buy my guy said most companies have the same restrictions.

We've had American Family, Prudential, Liberty Mutual, and now Geico. Like previously stated, the insurance companies viewed it like a large garage.

Roberta

We had no problem getting coverage with State Farm for home and detached hangar in South Carolina. Very reasonable rates.

What state do you live in? Coverages can be very different from state to state. I work for Farm Bureau Insurance in Texas. If you are in Texas I will find out all that I can for you. If you are in another state I wish you the best of luck and suggest you speak to a local agent with Farm Bureau, State Farm or Allstate. PM me if you need assistance locating a Farm Bureau office in a state other than Texas.

Farmers

Farmers had no problem coving my detached hangar (on the same lot as my house) as a detached auxillary building, to a maximum set as a % of the house value.

This does not cover the planes or plane parts in the hangar though... but it would cover the tools....

gil A

Thanks for the reply's guys. I live in Montana and the hanger is attached to the house, hanger downstairs and house upstairs. I already have auto insurance with State Farm so I'll check with them first.
Again, thanks for the responses.

Brian

It's True

That's the one. You're going to have to come over and check it out one of these days.

topgun260