SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
I didn't build my RV-4 but couldn't be happier with #2973 produced by Leroy Conner of Mosier, OR. (shameless plug) But I've already gotten a couple bumps on my head from the learning curve of building a hangar.

I abandoned a sizeable deposit from one "manufacturer" because it turned out they were nothing but a broker. Even though the company experienced no significant expense on my behalf, they wouldn't refund a penny of my deposit. I ended up working with John Turner of WorldWide Steel Buildings. It has been a great experience so far, not to mention that AOPA members get a 10% discount. Considering the broker markup from the previous company and the 10% discount, my cost of steel was less with WorldWide even considering the lost deposit.

I also decided on a Schweiss door. A good product (or so I'm told, since it hasn't been installed yet), but you'll find that they don't deliver frequently. This MAY create problems with coordinating with the building erector and door installer.

It is interesting to note that both the door company and building manufacturer require the customer to unload the truck. This has a tendency to increase cost by renting equipment and personnel multiple times if delivery dates can't be coordinated.

Jim
N444JT
Leesburg, VA

I didn't build my RV-4 but couldn't be happier with #2973 produced by Leroy Conner of Mosier, OR. (shameless plug) But I've already gotten a couple bumps on my head from the learning curve of building a hangar.

I abandoned a sizeable deposit from one "manufacturer" because it turned out they were nothing but a broker. Even though the company experienced no significant expense on my behalf, they wouldn't refund a penny of my deposit. I ended up working with John Turner of WorldWide Steel Buildings. It has been a great experience so far, not to mention that AOPA members get a 10% discount. Considering the broker markup from the previous company and the 10% discount, my cost of steel was less with WorldWide even considering the lost deposit.

I also decided on a Schweiss door. A good product (or so I'm told, since it hasn't been installed yet), but you'll find that they don't deliver frequently. This MAY create problems with coordinating with the building erector and door installer.

It is interesting to note that both the door company and building manufacturer require the customer to unload the truck. This has a tendency to increase cost by renting equipment and personnel multiple times if delivery dates can't be coordinated.

Jim
N444JT
Leesburg, VA

Hi Jim,

If you have not signed the deal for Schweiss yet, take a look at HP Doors. I like the way it locks when closing and seems to be built well. Only issue is having a great place for birds to sit on the truss outside. Look at the stand alone video. Without considering any prices, this would be my choice. (A friend has a Schweiss and likes it.)
http://www.hpdoors.com/