RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

A while ago there was a thread on Hangar Floor Painting and try as I may, I can't find it anywhere so any of you owning hangars , how did you paint it and what did you used ( Pro's and Con's )

BTW: How do I access the Archives ??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Can't tell you what was used in the hanger I purchased.

But I would caution that whatever you use, make sure it is not slick when wet. My floor looks nice, but any water and it turns into a slipping hazard.

Also, don't add the multi-color "speckles". They look great, but the first time you drop a small nut, screw, etc. you will know why you don't want the speckles.

All one color. :rolleyes:

This acid stain floor takes a beating and still looks good.
Occasionally I have lost track of a dropped washer or nut, but keep the floor clean and a bright light you can always find them.

That absolutely can NOT be a hangar! Must be an aircraft slick sales office!! Where are the toolboxes, parts, drums of oil, and other aeronautical paraphenalia??? :confused::rolleyes::D

This acid stain floor takes a beating and still looks good.
Occasionally I have lost track of a dropped washer or nut, but keep the floor clean and a bright light you can always find them.

Conduct a water vapor test (I think it is call a calcium chloride water vapor test) on the floor before deciding on using an epoxy versus a water based paint. The water based paint will allow water vapors to pass through the floor and will be less prone to blistering over time.

Last edited:
That absolutely can NOT be a hangar! Must be an aircraft slick sales office!! Where are the toolboxes, parts, drums of oil, and other aeronautical paraphenalia??? :confused::rolleyes::D

:) don't worry plenty of aviation being committed here. Neil has a philosophy that a clean build area promotes pride and a better quality build. So the tools and stuff get put away everyday.
Behind the plastic curtain other side of Race 81 is the 12x24 shop which houses all the tools. It where the components are built. Through the door is a 3 car garage where all the dirty stuff is kept.

Neils Rans S-6 was my first exposure to building. This is in the shop section.

the nice thing about a big empty hangar is it converts to a get entertainment room quickly. Neil hosts the 4th of July Fly-in for 8 yrs now. Life is good

PolyUrea vs epoxy

I'm going to have my present epoxy floor stripped and recoated. I've read this thread and it comes down to one basic question for me. What to have put down. I've recieved two estimates one for industrial epoxy and one for Polyurea/Aspartic. Both claimed they are the best. The Polyurea/Aspartic is less brittle than Epoxy but I dont know about durability. Any floor experts/chemical engineers on the forum care to chime in?
Thanks

Visit the flooring section of this site. These guys are the garage version of VAF:)

www.garagejournal.com/forum/

I'm going to have my present epoxy floor stripped and recoated. I've read this thread and it comes down to one basic question for me. What to have put down. I've recieved two estimates one for industrial epoxy and one for Polyurea/Aspartic. Both claimed they are the best. The Polyurea/Aspartic is less brittle than Epoxy but I dont know about durability. Any floor experts/chemical engineers on the forum care to chime in?
Thanks