sprucemoose

Well Known Member
I'm looking for someone with expertise on hangar building codes. Specifically IBC 412.2.4 and how it relates to furnace installations.

Please email me at [email protected].

It's RV related since I'm going to put my RV in the hangar.

IBC sizes....

sprucemoose said:
I'm looking for someone with expertise on hangar building codes. Specifically IBC 412.2.4 and how it relates to furnace installations.

Please email me at [email protected].

It's RV related since I'm going to put my RV in the hangar.
Jeff... locally the problem comes at a size greater than 2000 sq. ft.

When the IBC was adopted, under 2000 sq. ft. is treated as an accessory building, over that, it's considered locally as a commercial building, and approval of the local Fire Marshall is needed - which becomes a separate problem in our area due to a change from private to municipal fire coverage...

Are you under 2000 sq. ft.??

gil in Tucson - lucky I built my hangar before the IBC adoption - but why do we need a building code based in Switzerland?... :rolleyes:

I'm well under 2000 ft, but according to the IBC, that only applies to hangars on residential lots (airparks.)

The problem I have is that the local building inspector is taking a very literal interpretation of the 412.2.4 requirements that a Modine type furnace be suspended at least 10 feet above the aircraft's upper surface. There isn't a hangar in America that conforms to this, yet that's what the IBC says and that's what the inspector insists on.

I'm hoping someone has experience with this issue and can help me out.

IBC

sprucemoose said:
I'm well under 2000 ft, but according to the IBC, that only applies to hangars on residential lots (airparks.)

The problem I have is that the local building inspector is taking a very literal interpretation of the 412.2.4 requirements that a Modine type furnace be suspended at least 10 feet above the aircraft's upper surface. There isn't a hangar in America that conforms to this, yet that's what the IBC says and that's what the inspector insists on.

Jeff,
I don't have experiance with that code, but I do have experiance with Building Inspectors. I was a home builder and now I build and remodel apartments.
Different localities are, well, different and every year things change with local experiance, including law suits, etc, etc.
In larger counties the inspectors have become plans compliance officers and require someone else to approve them. Anyway, it is the state of the country now, I guess.
What has worked in an impass situation.
Inspectors want/need a resolution, they just want you to come up with it.
They need a way to close their file on the job.
First option.
You can ask for a variance on this issue as you are the owner and given that codes are in place to protect you, you have the right to acknowledge the situation and procede. The variance gives them the paper in the file to address the non code compliance issue and all are happy.
Second option.
Sometimes the inspectors will defer to the manufactures installation recomendations. If the installations address it, show that to them, either seperately or with the variance mentioned above. You could also contact the heater manufacturer and ask them to write a letter or a fax approving your installation, sometimes they will do that.
These ideas may not be exactly your answer, but maybe will help start you in the right direction if you can't get passed the code issue itself.

As remodelers, we are given a lot of slack on permits and inspections, etc, but not very much when it comes to gas appliances or fire-rated assemblies. Life saftey, as in flying, is a major concern so you want this resolved, not just skipped over, in case there is an insurance claim later.
Good Luck and welcome to my world!!

Add a room...

sprucemoose said:

Any chance of making a separate room and ducting heat into the hangar?

Then the little room could be classified differently from the hangar...

gil A

IBC residential hangar question

The current International Building Code definition of a residential hangar (section 412.3.1) is defined as a maximum 2000 sq ft and 20' height. Do any of you know if this is total height or mean height?

Thank you in advance,
Stan

Stan,

Heights in residential building codes are "max height above finished grade".

Talk to the Sr Inspector at the city/county. They may have a different interpretation of the code.

Ryan

Code Issues

Not being intimately familiar with IBC 412.2.4, I Googled it and see that Wisconsin has adpoted some substitute language for exception 1, whatever that is. Since you're in Milwaukee, you might want to check out the Wisconsin language.

Can you install a floor mounted furnace and simply add a little ductwork to get the warm air distributed out over the majority of the hanger? That's what I did (pre-IBC) and only had to elevate the furnace 12" to comply with the electrical code. We placed it in a small mechanical room in the hanger, but since the furnace uses "sealed combustion" - we didn't even have to have fire rated walls on the mechanical room.

Good luck. I have a feeling you're going to need it.

Rick Luck
RV9A
N109RV
Purchased as completed and flying

hummmmmm

All I can say is its a good thing you don't live in NY.

The code you are mentioning is the international code. The reason this code has been adopted by many states is for uniformity between the states. In NY we also have adopted this code however we have cut it up and added so much useless **** that it really boggles the mind. You can not comment unless you are familiar with the state and what the state has adopted. Code interpretation's can be asked for and received by the department of state codes division. These are usually binding.

Just as a point of interest......if this is a county or state airport, the inspector you r talking to might not have jurisdiction.

GeneralCode.com has some good info