cjensen

Well Known Member
I've seen a lot of pictures posted of A models with their engines hung without the tail feathers in place since the nosewheel is there to support. Did any of you tailwheelers hang yours without the emp on? How much weight is needed on the tail if left off?

Strictly for room, and convenience of walking around it is the reason I ask...

no feathers on this bird

Hi Chad

I have an RV-8, with the engine hung, and no tail feathers. I can easily pick up my tail and place it on a sawhorse. I see no need to install the tail feathers until you get to the airport. They do not weigh that much.

Plan on attaching some ballast to the tailwheel. I tied a few weights to the tailwheel spring. Works for me.

Mike Draper
RV-8
N468RV
-working on the canopy

Hi Chad,
My 8 didn't take much weight without tail, but I have a 9 in my shop now for painting that takes about 30 lbs. to feel secure. I use old dumb bells from a former life of weight training;). Should be able to find something to hold it down though. Get that engine mounted! It will inspire you to work faster:D. Good luck.

Chad-

For my -7, I had a 25lb weight on the tail. Even with my prop (40 lbs) on I find it plenty of weight to keep everything happy. Without any weight...Lookout! It will be SUPER light back there.

Chad,

Because the gear legs slope backwards the cg moves backwards as the tail is lowered - draw a picture to help envision it I have worked on my RV6 with an O360-A1A installed with no tail feathers and it is stable provided the tail is kept low on the tail wheel or other low support. As you lift the tail to bring the main longerons horizontal it wants to tip forward. Mind you it doesn't take much weight to keep the tail down in this attitude.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Details

Last edited:
Chad,

I hung my engine w/o the tail or wings on my -9 and as the others have said, there is very little weight on the tail. In fact, a friend came by and strated to lift the tail wheel his foot and almost dumped it on its nose.

To solve this problem I put two bags of 00 buck shot back there.

Here is a picture of one of those bags. The other bag was up on the HS decking.

When working on the engine I found myself sitting under the plane and using the engine mount to lift myself up. Lucky for me, I never dumpted it over on myself.

I was removing my horizontal for paint and had the engine installed. When I picked up on the horizontal, the tail came off the ground. Be careful if you have an IO-360 (200 hp)!

Karl

With or without wings

You didn't mention whether the wings are on. I suspect with the wings on it's not much of an issue. On my wingless -4 I tied a 45 lb barbell plate to my tailspring and feel very secure. It's true that when you're down there fiddling with exhaust mounts and such you tend to haul yourself up by the motor mount. Better safe than get clobbered by a 300 lb engine.

......I have an RV-8, with the engine hung, and no tail feathers. I can easily pick up my tail and place it on a sawhorse........Mike Draper
With the engine and constant speed prop attached, the nose gets heavy. Not very obvious because of the camera angle, a couple of 25# lead shot bags are draped over the empennage area and certainly keeps the tailwheel firmly planted on the ground. Even without the ballast back there, the tailwheel would still stay put but next to no lifting effort would cause that expensive nose to crash to the ground!

Engine no Emp

I have the engine on my 7 with no wings and no emp. No problem. I keep a cardboard box filled with a couple of gallon cans of paint on the flat part of the tail where the HS goes. I've had the Hartzell Blended prop on as well with no problem.

Thanks for the replies all! I do not have the wings on, but I feel comfortable doing this now since it sounds like you all haven't had any issues...as long as there is weight of some sort back there.

:cool: